Vintage Guitars

RossA

Jul 28, 2008
Hi everybody. I have recently purchased a vintage guitar from on online dealer (10 days ago), it was advertised as being a certain age, but when I received the guitar and checked against the serial number it was from a different year (although only one year). Obviously the age has an impact on the value. Do I have any rights in this instance to obtain a refund or to return the item?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Rossa,

I'll assume that you bought it from a UK trader in which case you are protected by the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

As you bought it online you are also protected by the Distance Selling Regulations which give you a seven day cooling off period - unfortunately in your case this has expired.

Back to the Sale of Goods Act. The item was not as described and therefore your statutory rights have been breached.

I would suggest that before you go down the legal route simply speak to the trader, it could be a genuine mistake and may rectify the situation there and then to your satisfaction. But to answer your question, yes you should be able to get a refund.

I hop this helps

Best regards,

Tony

RossA

Jul 28, 2008
Hi Tony, thanks ever so much for that information. The seller is a UK trader, they are a shop that also operate online. Is there anyway the trader could get out of offering a refund?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Rossa,

It would be difficult for them to get out of it, but they might make it difficult for you to get it. Don't go in guns blazing - just explain the situation and say you like a refund. BTW Did you pay by Credit Card?

Kind regards,

Tony

RossA

Jul 28, 2008
Thanks again. How would I go about requesting a refund from my credit card company? Is it a case of just giving them a ring? Is there a standard procedure?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Just give them a ring and say your would like to make a claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. However, the logical thing to do is to go to the trader first.

Let us know how you get ont

Best regards,

Tony