BBC Watchdog: Two Left Feet - complaints

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Two Left Feet, a division of Two Right Feet Ltd, claims to be one the UK's top suppliers for everything to do with babies. But when Watchdog investigated the company back in 2006, we found that those claims weren't justified.

At the time the company blamed its problems on its computer software. More than two years on you might think that it had sorted out its difficulties but instead, it looks like things have actually got worse.

Watchdog received 500 complaints
In the past six months Watchdog has received over 500 complaints about Two Left Feet, an unprecedented number for a company like this. Almost every day people have been getting in touch, often to say that months after ordering they still haven't received their goods and can't seem to get their money back.

Donna Brewer is one such customer. She ordered nearly £1,000 worth of goods from its website in July 2008. However, instead of receiving the goods she'd ordered, Donna found herself dealing with a lot of unnecessary grief. After not receiving the complete order for two months and being reduced to tears on the phone by Two Left Feet's customer service, Donna finally cancelled her order. She then spent another three months trying, unsuccessfully, to get a refund from the company.

One customer stressed at her treatment
Donna has now finally received the money, but only from her credit card company, not Two Left Feet. The whole experience has left Donna angry at her treatment.
She says: "It caused me a great amount of stress at a time which I just didn't need it. I was 34 weeks pregnant and like a lot of mums-to-be out there, the stress levels were just unbelievable."

Clearly Two Left Feet still has serious problems. Watchdog decided to get some expert advice on exactly what the company could do to turn things around. We turned to Richard Farleigh, ex-dragon from the BBC Two series Dragon Den. He began by meeting some of the customers let down by Two Left Feet. Their stories were all remarkably similar; orders not arriving, no customer service and a painful battle for refunds on cancellation.

Initially, Two Left Feet had been reticent to get involved with our investigation. Mid-way through, the company changed its mind and invited Richard Farleigh to meet with managing director Richard Bone at its Bedford showroom.

Two key areas to address
Richard Farleigh identified two key areas that the company had to address urgently: stock management and customer service. He says: "You are not really focusing on your customer's side which is your long-term reputation."

In a frank discussion, Richard Bone once again pointed to the company's computer software as the source of at least some of the problems, claiming it wasn't suitable for the amount of orders they were receiving. However, he said that it had brought in new software that will only take orders if stock is available, hopefully limiting the problems of equipment simply not being despatched. Richard Farleigh felt that the problems weren't all down to the software system and challenged him over the company's poor record with refunds. Richard Bone insisted that it would be possible to refund people, as long as they could establish the status of customers' orders. Richard Farleigh said that the company should already be able to do this, regardless of how bad their systems were.

Company keen to improve customer service
After talking for a further hour, Richard Bone did state that the company would make it easier to resolve complaints on the phone, and seemed genuinely keen to improve customer service. He was confident that in the future, it could make real improvement. "We've reached the cross roads. We're turning now."

For Two Left Feet to alienate as many customers as it has is some achievement. Yet even now it may not be too late for the company. This could be Two Left Feet's first steps towards recovery. Watchdog will certainly be keeping a close eye on what happens next.

Two Left Feet statement
Richard Bone, managing director of Two Left Feet also sent Watchdog the following statement:
"I would like to offer and extend my sincere apologies to the customers of Two Left Feet covered in this story for the difficulties and inconveniences that they have encountered. Their experiences fall considerably short of the level of customer service that I and my teams strive to provide to all of our customers. I would like to give my assurance to BBC Watchdog and all customers of Two Left Feet that all of our efforts are being directed towards overcoming the issues that have given rise to these complaints which will include a full review and overhaul of our customer service processes.

"I am able to confirm that all of the cases presented on tonight's Watchdog programme have been fully resolved. I do believe that the publication of the email address watchdog@twoleftfeet.co.uk so that consumers may address any ongoing issues that they have will go a huge way to resolving the problems shown tonight.

"The opportunity to meet with Richard Farleigh and to take on board the advice offered by him will, without doubt, help considerably towards the improvements that need to be made within our business. I would like to thank BBC Watchdog and Richard Farleigh for this opportunity.

"In conclusion, I would like to reiterate the apologies offered earlier and confirm that I have been in contact with these customers individually to offer my apologies."

Two Left Feet - complaints

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
I watched this last night and just couldn't believe how badly the customers had been treated. My friend is one of the people waiting for a refund for over £300 worth of products. She's been waiting since September last year and has heard nothing. I've told her about the email address she needs to write to, but I just have this sneaking suspicion she won't see her money again. Will update this thread if she does!

To blame these failings on a computer system is negligent and I just didn't believe the owner of the company was sincere or really understood how his company had failed its customers. I really hope that he can turn the company around and refund all the customers, but I feel it's not the last we'll see of them on Watchdog.