Mattress problem

Claire

Mar 4, 2009
Last year I bought a memory foam mattress from Dreams. These should contour to your body and then return to normal, however this is not the case and the mattress has sunk in the middle. I'm in dispute with Dreams currently as they are saying this isn't a manufacturing fault and won't do anything about it other than send out a guy who lays on it for 20 seconds and declares it ok.

I don't want my money back, just to change it. Has anyone got any advice as to what I can do? :mad:

Claire

Mar 4, 2009
Yes a 2 year one if there is a manufacturer fault which they are saying there isn't. Very frustrating

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Oh no what a nightmare. Is there an independent testing service that might be able to help??

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 6, 2008
Claire, if the mattress is more than six months old the burden of proof lies with you; if it is less than six months old the shop has to prove that it is OK - sending a bloke round to lie on it doesn't really give you any assurance.

Have a read of this:

Quality and fitness for purpose | Consumer Information

If the burden of proof lies with you you will need to get it inspected and pay for this. If the independent inspector says it is ok, you will be out of pocket otherwise the shop will pay you back for the inspection. You need speak to the shop and make sure they are happy with the inspector you are going to use - check out the Bed Federation website.

Hope this helps

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Would it be worth taking a photo of the mattress to demonstrate that it has sagged? Sounds like at the moment it's just your word against their rep's?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Probably quite hard to photograph, but I was thinking about this and if you used marbles they would roll into the dip - might demonstrate it better. Most mobiles will take a small video now and this can be uploaded onto youtube and the address e-mailed. Just a thought.

Tony

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
It's actually quite simple. There are two ways to demonstrate a dip in a mattress. The best way is to lay a length of string along the mattress and through the dip. The other is to use a straight edge like a long ruler or spirit level.

For more mattress advice have a look at mattressadvice.co.uk

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
Last year I bought a memory foam mattress from Dreams. These should contour to your body and then return to normal, however this is not the case and the mattress has sunk in the middle. I'm in dispute with Dreams currently as they are saying this isn't a manufacturing fault and won't do anything about it other than send out a guy who lays on it for 20 seconds and declares it ok.

I don't want my money back, just to change it. Has anyone got any advice as to what I can do? :mad:
I know this is an old thread, but my post may help other people in a similar situation.

The OP didn't say what type of memory foam mattress it was, but I presume it was reflex foam with memory foam on top. If this is the case then what they have experienced is actually one of the many problems with this type of mattress. The problem is likely to be with the reflex foam rather than the memory foam, as the bubbles in the reflex foam start to burst then the foam starts to lose it's integrity. You will find that even the most expensive manufacturers of this type of mattress regard a dip of up to about 1" as normal wear and tear.

Personally I wouldn't want a dip of any kind in my mattress, which is why I would recommend memory foam mattresses with springs under the memory foam, rather than reflex foam.

For more mattress advice go to mattressadvice.co.uk where you will find honest advice without any external links, or selling.

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk

How deep is the dip?

Divine

Super Moderator
Apr 11, 2016
Probably quite hard to photograph, but I was thinking about this and if you used marbles they would roll into the dip - might demonstrate it better. Most mobiles will take a small video now and this can be uploaded onto youtube and the address e-mailed. Just a thought.

Tony
Haha - “most mobiles will take video” how times have changed