Help - Have I got a leg to stand on

Mitzi

Mar 4, 2009
Peterborough
On Sunday I purchase a kitchen table and 4 chairs from a shop called "Cargo". I paid straight away using my debit card. I arranged to pick up the table and chairs on Saturday. On Monday I realized the table was going to be too big and would not fit into the corner where I wanted it to go (I know I should have measured up before but I only went out to buy a new phone!! and my husband assured me it would fit). On Tuesday I went back into the shop and explained the problem to which they replied I would only get 70% back and not a full refund. I could not believe it. I emailed the manager and he basically said you are very lucky to have received 70% as the item you purchased was a Clearance Line and had a "No Returns" policy. Surely in this day and age this can't be right. I'm £122 out of pocket, and the table and chairs did not see the outside of the shop.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Hi Mitzi, sounds like a very impulsive shopping trip! I'm afraid I think the manager is right: because the table and chairs are not faulty, you have no automatic right to a refund. As I understand it, when you paid for the goods you entered into a contract with the shop, and because it wasn't done online or on the doorstep, you're not automatically entitled to any cooling off period. You could try arguing that the "no returns" policy wasn't brought to your attention when you made the purchase, but I don't know if you'll get anywhere. Have a read of the Consumer Forum guide on the topic for more info.