7 Tips for moving Furniture:

jazmin2309

Banned
Dec 23, 2008
After people spend most of the earnings on investing in costly furniture to get their house looks beautiful with the antique or modern furniture. Handling furniture is great task. We must have to move it carefully and right manner to ensure that it can’t be damage while move. You must know the architecture and property of the furniture so that you must know from where we have to pick up. Here are the tips of handling furniture while moving from one place to another place:
1. Before moving your furniture you must initial look at all fixed or moveable furniture to get an idea about detachable furniture. If you find more furniture detachable than your task of moving will be simple but if you do not find your furniture detachable than your task will not be easy.
2. Based on the primary survey you can list out your furniture, which cause major problem while moving so that you can minimise the major damages. Accordingly remove such types of obstacles well in advance so that your moving processes get fast.
3. Appoint the furniture moving professionals to take this job carefully. In the local newspaper there are several advertisements appears for hiring furniture movers. You can contact them and delicate the job.
4. Mark the furniture with two colours Yellow and Green so that the crew person know that this furniture mark in Yellow is supposed to get detached and packed accordingly and furniture in Green is move as it is.
5. You can also note down the room number of new home on the furniture so that the furniture moving professionals know where to put the furniture in the new location.
6. Furniture with glass items should be packed carefully with moving pad or you can wrap the cloths around the class or mirror to prevent it from scratches. Please assure that furniture-moving professionals get hold furniture on their hand and move all the furniture carefully.
7. You must take care while furniture moving professional’s move the furniture slowly.

helen12

Mar 31, 2009
Jazmin thanks. I have read your other posts too about furniture. They are giving us useful information. Keep it up.

jazmin2309

Banned
Dec 23, 2008
Youre welcome

Hi Helen,

You're very welcome! I will keep bringing new posts as often as I can!

Jaz :eek:

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Careful about soft furnishings.

One mistake which is often made - even by professional movers sometimes - is to leave a box on top of foam cushions in storage.

The indentation of that box will be there forever, as the foam will compress slightly over time, but not recover.

sarah_9

Jun 1, 2009
www.bridaleverything.com
Hello,

Hey thanks for sharing such good tips, due to my job i always keep moving from one place to another, but due to lack of time i usually hire professional packers and movers for packing and moving, but next time i`m going to follow your tips.

Regards,
sarah_9

smartboxusa.com

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Moving with a hire van will normally cost about half of what you will pay the minimum charge of a moving company - and will need two strong, fit guys to hump the stuff.
The moving company will do it better, with no effort to the payer - but at double the cost. They will also do less damage to the goods, or the properties.
Boxing and packing all the loose stuff of a household, before calling for quotes from moving companies. Moving companies charge for time of their staff and vehicles - keeping that to a minimum will reduce their costs, and therefore their quotations.

andy2726

Jun 17, 2009
Just something to add to this thread if you have solid pine wardrobes and need them to come apart to move, do not leave them in parts to long as you will find that the boards will move and bow with a change to climate and it will be impossible to put them back together. If leaving in storage although a lot of work rebuild them in storage

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
When taking furniture apart, any screws and other fittings should be put immediately in a sealable tub and marked up, or secured to the furniture. I know this may sound obvious, but I for one have on more than one occasion had furniture to rebuild and no idea where the fittings are.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I echo that... my brother-in-law took apart the cot my nieces used when the youngest grew out of it. It was bought by my parents and meant to serve all of us when we had kids.

Problem is, he passed away last year and nobody has a clue what he did with the fittings. We always joke that we should hold a seance to find out.

sturner10

Jul 5, 2012
I know this thread is quite a few years old but I came across it and instead of starting a new one I thought I would bring this one back to life. happywriter - very true!! It is more expensive to use a removals company but when it comes down to your hard earned possessions you want them moved safely and with care. Something that I would like to add is when trying to locate a removals company if you have decided you are going to use one make sure you look for one that does packing and provides storage services. Putting valuable furniture in a safe storage unit will mean you don't have to worry about them getting damaged until you are all set up and need them at your new house.

I have recently moved and used Evans Removals and Storage. I found them after a bit of research. They were slightly more expensive than a few others in my area but they offered more services and I was recommended them by a friend who had used them before. At the end of the day I always say you get for what you pay for and they were brilliant.

shwigityshwonshwei

Jul 10, 2012
I'd like to add that you should place corner protectors around curving hallways or doorways. Because furniture is bound to get bashed against the corners by yourselves or the removal men. This should stop them (or you) taking chunks out of the walls and your furniture!

I speak fro experience :mad: