help

stokiegirl

Jul 30, 2008
i brought a used car last week
its a 206cc y reg,it cost me £6000 which i think is over the odds but was prepared to pay for a decent car.
it was advertised as having a cd player etc.
which on the journey home i doscovered did not work,nor did the rear speakers.
sunny week until yesterday,get in my car,soaked!!!
roof is leaking from front to back driver side. company told me take it back n they will try to fix it,but if it needs new seals (which im asured it does) then they will not pay for it,as its approx a thousand pounds in total from the main dealer. i was told the car was in good condition and they knew the car was brought because i need room for a newborn baby,and i do not class a damp car as good place for a baby to travel!
i have noticed other faults which im yet to get a independant mechanic to confirm before taking the car back
but where do i stand?
must the company fix these faults to satisfaction because the price i paid,and if im not happy can i return it???

help

gabriel

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
Car buying is a dangerous game

Stokiegirl, you have my sympathy. Most of us have been caught out buying dodgy second-hand cars at some time or other. It's a cliche but you really do have to be so careful and if you buy privately, you need to scrutinise the seller as closely as you scrutinise the car. Better still, shell out for that independent mechanic's opinion BEFORE you commit your cash. I know it seems like you're throwing your money away if you choose not to buy, but it can certainly save you a lot of hassle. Alternatively take a knowledgeable friends along with you.

Of course, such advice is no help for you in your present predicament. When you say 'company' do you mean the 'company' you bought from? What kind of outfit are they? A small independent trader? I don't suppose you got any kind of written warranty? What about the text of the ad - could that be argued to be misleading?

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
hiya stookie ,
how did it turn out in the end? I secomd the opinion that most of us have been stung at one point or another and don't be afriad to play the guilt angle if you are needing the car for a new baby.
We got stung buying a car from a woman who's kids went to the same playgroup as mine. She assured us the car worked only we got it home to find...

1. brake lines knackered and dangerous,

2. Gear box with no oil in it and therefore knackered...my partener drove it a few miles up the road to find that it was jumping out of fifth. when I said this to her and asked why she hadn't told me when I wanted to know if there was anything wrong with the car she blithly said oh I never could get it into fifth...:confused:

3. Engine that had obviously siezed at some point....and was therefore...knackered!

we ended up walking away from the whole thing but I would chase the company up and get someone to go with you {without being sexist, some garages will be more honest with a bloke than they will with a woman.}
Best of luck.

pokerface

Oct 1, 2008
the internet is the best tool when buying a second hand car. there are forums everywhere now for all types of cars. Find one specific to the car your are interested in and you can find things to lookout for and common problems etc, and maybe even a buyers guide