Sale of Goods Act - mobile bought in UK

Joyce

Mar 11, 2009
Hi,

I live in the Republic of Ireland and bought a Samsung SGH-U600 slider 'phone whilst over in the UK, visiting my Daughter and new Garnd-Daughter, in January of this year. According to the specs. of the 'phone, which I have read on the Samsung website, the standby time is anything between 220 and 275 hours.

The most I have gotten out of it so far is 48 hours. I called the UK Carphone Warehouse (from where I purchased it)Customer Services and reported the problem. They said that because I lived in the ROI, the Sale of Goods Act provision doesn't apply to me and if I wanted the 'phone repaired or replaced I would have to send it back to the UK at my own cost and pay for its return also at my own cost. The CPW in Eire has been tremendously helpful and returned it to the UK at no cost to me and also paid for it to be returned to me once repaired.

I collected it from the CPW branch in Tralee (ROI) on Monday this week, charged it up Monday night and 1/2 an hour ago tonight got the "LOW Battery" warning yet again. So it's STILL not working properly.

I don't think it fair that the ROI should have to stand the cost of returning the phone once again to the UK (assuming that they will; they weren't obliged to last time but did it to be helpful to me)-this model isn't sold in the ROI, hence why I bought it whilst in the UK.

So my question is this: does the Sale of Goods Act apply to the product supplied (if someone could point me in the direct of paragraph and verse I'd be really grateful) or the person buying it? And if it applied to the product,is this protection affected by where the purchaser lives?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Great question Joyce - I am pretty sure that Carphone Warehouse are wrong. We will write a guide on this as I know a lot of UK customers have problems when buying form other countries within Europe. Worth giving these guys a ring:

IRELAND
EUROPEAN CONSUMER CENTRE DUBLIN
Director: Ann Neville
13a Upper O’Connell Street
Dublin 1
+353/1 809 06 00
+353/1 809 06 01
info@eccireland.ie
Home - European Consumer Centre Ireland

Do let us know how you get on? Would be really interested to know what they say

Good luck

Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This is relevant:

I bought a camera in Spain. It doesn't work. What should I do?

Under the Sale of Goods and Associated Guarantees Directive 99/44/EC, the goods must be as described by the seller, fit for usual purpose, and of satisfactory quality and performance. Hopefully you still have the receipt with the trader's details. You should first contact the trader outlining your problem, and seeking to have the camera repaired.If this is not done, you should seek a refund or a replacement. If you cannot get a satisfactory response from the trader, you can contact your local European Consumer Centre. You should be aware that there have been many reports of poor-quality electronics being sold in Spanish holiday resorts.

joannewithey

Dec 31, 2010
i bought a phone second hand from a shop and the sreen started coming away it was only used 4 a day as it was a xmas pressie cex are saying the damage is not throw them and is myfault.