Scottish Government urged not to drop commitment to Home Reports

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Thought this might be of interest to some, particularly fellow residents of Scotland. The Scottish Consumer Council is concerned that the much-mooted Home Reports might be dropped due to sustained pressure from lawyers.

The Home Reports are due to be introduced in December 2008 and will comprise a survey, energy report and questionnaire completed by the seller. They are intended to end the practice of multiple surveys being commissioned on the same home and of people having to pay for surveys on houses that they don't eventually buy. They're also supposed to make things more straightforward, especially for first time buyers.

The proposal to introduce Homebuyers' Reports in England and Wales was recently dropped.

gabriel

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
A sound idea screwed up by red tape

I suppose it's good news for Scotland.

I happen to think the idea is fine in principle, but the way it was set up for England and Wales was a bit of a joke from what I hear. Didn't actually have to go through the process first-hand, though, so can't say much more than that.

Maybe the deferral down south will work out for the best - learn from the Scots and tweak our proposals accordingly. (Yeah, sure ;))

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Assuming it goes ahead, it will be interesting to see how it works: as a buyer I'm not too keen on it, but as a prospective seller it will be a boon.