Missing part from ex-demo digital camcorder - what can we do now?

frustrated.com

Mar 13, 2009
Hi, I'm new here and need some advice as to where to go from here. I will try to keep it brief (sorry, it's a long one after all!)

We bought an ex-demo Sony digital camcorder from a Currys store at the end of November 2008. We got a discount as expected for it being an ex-demo however when we went to upload some of the footage my husband found the docking station was missing from the box so couldn't do it. We assumed this mistake would be rectified without a problem but here we are, over 3 months later still without the docking station and with no undertaking by Currys to arrange for the part to be ordered.

They are part of DSG Plc and another company in the same group is Partmaster from where this docking station is available at a cost of just over £125. We have been told that Currys cannot simply order this for us and in January were told we could order it and be reimbursed from Currys. However, this was only offered in a telephone conversation and given the fact we had so far been lied to and telephone calls never returned we were correctly reluctant to accept this offer unless in writing and this apparently is a problem for them. We have written to DSG's customer service expecting them to be apologetic and get Currys to "sort it" but we appear to be being fobbed off even more, most recently told that the offer of reimbursement had not been made by the store but they had offered a refund for the camera itself.

This point is correct HOWEVER we declined this refund offer as we have footage of our young son which we do not want to part with or risk getting into the wrong hands and without the docking station the footage will have to stay on the camera. We have tried to explain this more than once but it does not appear to be understood. We could delete it but that footage will be gone and events such as first nativity plays and Christmas will be gone.

We are at the end of our tether. This latest news about no reimbursement actually being offered was sent by email from DSG on 3rd March, I replied explaining this was not acceptable and to come back with a more satisfactory solution and I have not heard anything. I re-sent the same email yesterday incase it had got lost in the system and still no reply. I think they've just got fed up with us fighting for our rights and are not prepared to give us what we are asking for. To be honest, even they did sent written confirmation that we could claim the money back for the part I would find it hard to believe we would actually see the money again.

Where do we go from here? Is there any point writing to a Board member of DSG or will it just be bounced straight to Customer Services or worse still to Currys' alleged Customer Service?

We don't want to let this go, my husband has since been made redundant so we really can't afford to pay out this money for a part that should have been included in the first place. He was never told that because it was ex-demo it may be missing parts, I don't think the member of staff even knew about it. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and we are being left hanging because of it. The customer service we have received has been, at best, appalling.

Help!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
DSG Poor Service

Another example of poor service from the DSG group.

I take it you can't get the video off without the docking station, it has no DV out, or RGB output? And I assume it is a hard disk type video camera with no removable media.

You should ask to have the problem escalated within DSG, and ask them who their Trading Standards Home Authority is. This is likely to be the Trading Standards office where the DSG head office is located.

I think it would be reasonable to provide a docking station.

Tony

frustrated.com

Mar 13, 2009
Thanks for understanding!

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply and for understanding our frustration. I thought Trading Standards would probably be the next step but didn't know how it would work. Reckon it might provoke a response from them if they know that's our plan.

The way I see it is if you bought a remote controlled TV but got home and found the remote wasn't in the box, you would kind of expect them to provide one with no quibbles!! There is no other way of taking the data off the camcorder and the instruction manual clearly refers to the docking station included. I just can't believe we are having to jump through hoops to get something we have paid for and are being treated so badly. I'm very interested in your comment that implies DSG are notorious for bad service!

Thanks again

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It might just be the volume of transactions or perhaps poor training, but do get a quite a few complaints about PC World, Currys, Dixons etc.

Your statutory rights have been breached, there is no denying this. Sale of Goods Act | Consumer Information

I think you should write a letter stating that you would like the situation rectified i.e. you want to be returned to the position you were in before the purchase WITH a copy of the video or provided with a docking station. A refund only partly meets this requirement. Make it clear that time is of the essence and you will only give them two weeks upon receipt to rectify the situation. If they do not do this you will purchase a docking station and make a small claim to recover the cost of this from the DSG group. We have a guide for this here, but hopefully it woon't come to that:

Making a Small Claim | Consumer Information