Supermarket vouchers: free money or is it?

Jeddo

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
Am I being dense or is Tesco's recent change to their voucher scheme just a wheeze?

It used to be that you earned points on your expenditure and these points gave you cash discounts on subsequent purchases. Now, it seems that your points earn you vouchers that can earn you more points that can earn you vouchers than can earn you more points...

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Erm...that's just points for points sake. Surely you must be able to redeem these points against something. The Nectar card allows you to accrue points that can be redeemed against your shopping every now and again.

There must be more to it than just points collection....Tesco aren't that daft!!

gabriel

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
Seems I was being dense... They do give cash discount coupons as well as bonus points vouchers :)

saneuser

Dec 15, 2008
Has anyone got an update on this? Would be interested to hear what Tesco are doing re vouchers.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I recently received a coupon which was £2.40 value, to take off a future purchase. Tesco's system seems to be continuing as it was. It is an incentive to gain the points, and judging by Tesco results - it is working.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I find that Tesco clubcard points are worth collecting. I use Tesco quite often, and my current Gas and Electricity supplier is Eon, who are partnered with Tesco, so I accumulate Tesco clubcard points on the money I pay to Eon. Tesco are partnered with quite a few other companies, restaurants and so on, so it is possible to accumulate a reasonable amount of points over time.

I also find that Tesco have some good deals when it comes to redeeming points, whereby you can increase your points balance by up to four times their value if you exchange them for theme park tickets, restaurant vouchers, DVD rentals etc. A recent promotion offers to double your clubcard points to spend on Tesco clothing, at Tesco Direct, or on other non-food items.