Overseas calls: any cheap options?

gabriel

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
I've checked out a few websites where you can dial a special number (maybe it was an 0870 number, I can't remember) and then get international calls dirt cheap. Sounded good to me until I went onto my network's site (Vodafone) and looked at the small print, which says these numbers are charged at normal rates - so I can't actually take advantage of such a service.

Do other networks restrict access to these service providers? Are there any that I could use with Vodafone to make cheap calls to Canada?

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
The service you speak of is Rebtel (rebtel.com). They have a scheme named 'Smart Call' whereby you and your relative or friend in Canada are charged your local rates and nothing more. Outstanding!

If you speak to your relative or friend on a regular basis, it's well worth a try. A call to Canada through their normal service is a phenomenal £0.009 - beat that BT!

Having looked into making calls internationally from my mobile, I've seen the good the bad and the very ugly; Vodafone charge £26.00 for a 25 minute call!! If you can invest in changing your network, one to consider is O2's 'Camel' package - call to select international countries (Cananda being one of them) are 5p. If you do consider this though, don't forget to check the T&Cs to ensure there are no additional charges etc.

gabriel

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
Thanks greatscot. I'll look into that.

Talking of Vodafone rip-offs... I was in Italy last year and got my entire £30 credit gobbled up because I RECEIVED a single (long) call from the UK. When I looked into this, it transpired Vodafone reserve the right to do this if your phone redirects you to another non-authorised network!

The story has a happy ending though as I managed to get a credit because when I called their helpline they gave me some wrong info which meant I was wary of using my phone at all for a couple of weeks.

I think the regs may have changed since then.