How can we get our roof fixed?

Mar 16, 2009
I am a shared owner and live in a small block of flats which are roughly two years old. My landlord is a Housing Association. Ever since I moved in we (myself and my neighbours) have been experiencing problems with the roof of our building making a loud virbrating noise in the wind.
The matter was reported to our Housing Association who were slow to respond to the problem. Eventually they notified the NHBC who I believe established that the roof underlay had not been laid to the manuafacturer's instructions and ordered the builder to correct this.
However, it seems that this has not tackled the source of the noise, as we are still experiencing the same problem. We have reported this to the Housing Association who do not appear to be overly keen to resolve the problem. They have said that we must:
a) identify the source of the noise (impossible as it's on the roof!) and
b) call them out to listen to the noise but that we can only call them first thing in the morning - again unhelpful as the noise usually happens at night, when winds are strongest and the Housing Association is based 26 miles away so chances are the noise will have stopped by the time they reach us!).
I understand that the landlord is obliged to fix problems like this? Can anyone advise me on our rights and what action I can take? I have a further query in that the landlord was aware of this problem when I purchased my property but did not notify me of the defect - do I have any legal rights in this respect?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This is complicated by the fact that there are so many parties involved - you, the housing association, NHBC, and the builder. In terms of rights you need to consult your contract with the housing association and find out what their complaints process it. You need to escalate this. You shouldn't have to know or care that the NHBC and the builder are involved. If you know any friendly roofers I would get them to have a look for you - I bet it is loose tiles rattling in the wind.

Tony