Beware if you live in flat

the good advice guy

Mar 16, 2009
You may have heard in the press, horror stories of MANAGING AGENTS inflating building insurance premiums

Since the article was published I have been approached by a large number of residents associations who are billed for the insurance by managing agents who charge typically 3 times the true rate !!!!!

I spoke to one block of 15 flats who are being charged £22000 in reality the premium was £8000 and another of 4 flats paying £3200 when in truth the premium was nearer £1200. This is just the tip of the iceberg

This is a major issue as perhaps 10% of the population live in private flats and the managing agents are making a fortune

Insurance broker Neil Cook of Ember JD Insurance, is raising concerns about the cost of insuring whole blocks of flats.

He says he is aware that hidden commission charges are being shared between brokers and managing agents at the property owner’s cost.

In a recent article in the Observer, Mr Cook suggested that some property owners are paying up to double the market rate for buildings insurance because brokers are paying “kickbacks” to the property agents who manage their homes.

He alleges that in some cases, backhanders are funded by insurance brokers choosing the insurer that pays the most commission, instead of the company that offers the best value.

Leaseholders are largely oblivious to their losses because they frequently have no idea which insurance company is covering the block.

Frequently, management companies simply send out an annual request for “ground rent service charges and insurance”.

Speaking to the Observer Mr Cook states: “I see a lot of inflated premiums for blocks of flats where it just doesn’t add up, and there is no way the broker has sought the best deal … sometimes it is as much as double but, typically, the premium is about 100% above what you would expect to pay.”

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
So what would you suggest would be the best way for people interested in a flat or in a flat now to investigate and deal with this situation - are there any resources available?

the good advice guy

Mar 16, 2009
how to check if you are paying to much !!!

insurance premium is based on the rebuild value of the property forget percentages of the sale value etc etc the correct way to work this is £125 per square foot outside the M25 or £150 inside the M25.

Or a simpler way. in general an average 1 bed flat in a block should be paying a premium of £200 to £350 AT MOST a 2 bed say £400

I had 2 cases in the last week were the managing agents charging £700 on a 1 bed and £800 on another WHICH IS MORE THAN DOUBLE THE TRUE PREMIUM

I have noticed some agents are sparse on the info they provide

check what you are billed for !!!
PS
Hi Kris Please call me And I can talk you through what It might be easer
thanks I am om 0208850 9697

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Surely you should be able to ask your managing agent (or factor if you're in Scotland) for a copy of your insurance policy, which should show what your premium is?

A Arthur

Nov 27, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hi ..... I wonder if anybody can help with advise on how to proceed with the huge increase of service charges that I have just been invoiced, here is a bit of history:

I purchased a 70% share of a housing association ' affordable housing' flat in Feb 2007, the development was fairly new ie less than a year old and not all of the flats had been sold. When these flats were marketed/sold by a different local housing association we were told that service charges would be in the region of £35.00 per month. I chased and chased all through 2007 to be invoiced for these, to which they told me that they didn't have all the costs involved and I was 'put off' for the whole of this accounting year April 2007-Mar 2008. Finally after much chasing again for the accounting year April 2008-Mar 2009, I was invoiced in Sept 2008 for the two years together, 2007-2008 490.00 per year and £509.00 for April 2008 -Mar 2009, which I duly paid in the time they required ( by April 2009). This year I have sent numerous emails for the invoice for April 2009 - Mar 2010 service charge and FINALLY on November 24th I received their invoice for ................ £1199.00 for the year!!! payable over 8 months at £150.00 per month! Obviously I telphoned them straight away and asked how they could justify this increase, they told me that they had miscalculated their costs for the previous years and had not invoiced us for their management charges ... the first two years they had put in a figure on £630.00 per year and this year they want £4400.00 for their fees and have also charged us £6000.00 for their management fees of last year and a cleaning contract which they had forgotten to account for in the previous year.

My question is .... is this reasonable of them to ask us to pay for their incompetence, as this is their 3rd accounting year for this development should they have 'got it right' sooner than this.

We have had lots of issues on our development also, it is a gated development and the gates have been broken and left open for over 1 year now, again lots of chasing to no avail .... they said last year that the money had run out for them to fix them, rubbish has not been collected for weeks and is stewn over the place.

I would be grateful if anybody can advise if I would have a case to take to the LVT on the grounds that this increase is unreasonable due to their incompetence.

Many thanks

Anita