Trying to cancel Gym Membership

dfl

Mar 17, 2009
Hi...my 16 year old son and his friend who is over 18 decided to visit Bannertynes gym yesterday and signed up on a joint membership. They paid an intial 33.00 each. I have tried to cancel today but they are refusing and say they have to pay the full 12 month membership. My question is... my son is only 16 is he able to sign a contract without my consent? Both names are spelt incorrectly albeit minor. on the agreement and on the gym cards. Do we have a leg to stand on at getting the contract null and void on either his age or the mis-spelling. Help would be appreciated.
Diane

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Diane,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like they may have taken advantage of the situation, the contract may be unenforceable for your son as he is classed as a minor under 18 - this is basic common law. Contracts with a minor are voidable unless it is a contract for the supply of 'necessaries' or a service for the minors benefit e.g. music lessons. They could argue the later for gym membership. Write a letter of complaint to the head office.

This will not help his friend though.

Tony

dfl

Mar 17, 2009
Thank you

Thanks Tony for your reply ...I will try thelletter to head office...best wishes
Diane:p

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Dianne, welcome to the forum. In the case of your son and his friend, I would have thought there should have been a cooling off period of some description - seems a bit naughty if not. However, they may allow the eighteen year old to sell his membership on - many gyms now do this. Gumtree are great for doing this. Hope you get it resolved.