2nd Hand car deposits covered by distance selling ?

Hudders

Mar 19, 2009
My parents went out on sunday just to look for a new car, they knew what they were exactly what they were looking for from mileage to colour !!, Well to cut a long story short they found the car and agreed with dealer a px value on their current car but had to pay deposit when they returned home which was paid by my Mum off HER card but out of their joint acc. All was good untill dealer later phoned and said car was already sold !!! but they had a similar spec car but wrong colour so they refused it, My Mum then looked on there website and found two higher spec cars they were interested in and phoned the dealer. One was sold and the other was available so she said she would have it but yet again it resulted in another phone call saying it had been sold by another salesman, this call was taken by Dad and he was told about another car but of higher mileage and given all the sales patter about how quick these cars sell etc etc so they talked him into leaving a deposit of £500 that was taken by them off the card details given for the original car by my MUM not my Dads card, When my Mum got home from work and he explained the car to her she was not happy regarding the mileage and phoned dealer and said it was not the car for them and was met with a resounding tuff as a deposit was paid and then told that as the car was a higher spec their part ex value had dropped by £250 !!!!. When my Mum tried to argue the salesman whom also appears to be the manager became rude and accused her of trying to take advantage of the credit crunch and they meet people like HER everyday !!! Even though this car has not been seen by my parents the salesman he says either they purchase or loose £500 ??

This is a large well known dealership and the car is coming from group stock and they have not seen it so surely it covered by distance selling ? Also how can he change the px value to suit him and as for being rude and patrinising to my Mum :mad: (that will have to be addressed seperately). Also the deposit was autherised by my Dad but taken from my Mums card !!!

Sorry for the long winded rant but all the facts help

Hopefully someone can help

Thanks in advance

Nathan