Can you make a living from competitions?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I've heard stories of people who enter competitions full-time, but I can't say I've ever met anyone like that. Do you think these people are just urban legends, or can you actually earn a decent income this way? My only big win was a holiday to New York a few years back, and I'm always struck that whenever I tell people about this, I end up having the same conversation.

Me: "I won a holiday to New York once."

Other person: "Wow, that's amazing, I never win anything."

Me: "Do you ever enter competitions?"

Other person: "Er, no."

Which makes me think the odds of winning competitions are probably better than you'd think, since so many people seem never to enter any!

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Competitions...like so many other things are a scam...or a sharp practice at best. Many prozes that are offered actually have an insurmountable amount of restrictions or conditions attached to them that they are often more of a nuisance than a benefit.

It is particularly important to beware of companies that offer a subscription service to enter you into competitions. These are either a scam...or something you could find time to uncover them yourself.

As for making a living out of it??? Never! Not unless you win big on something once and can rely on the interest income!!

Heidi

Aug 4, 2009
LoveOffers.co.uk is a good competition site. Think its new and not too many people know about it. Might be worth a try.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I don't reckon there's a chance of making a living from entering competitions at all. The time it takes to research and enter them would probably mean that you ended up being paid a minus amount each hour! Definitely not worth it but if there's anyone out there who disagrees let me know ...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I go through stages of entering them and usually have an OK success rate, but it is time consuming. Just the other day I won a book from a publisher. Unfortunately they thought it was a good idea to send me a book with recipes for athletes.

But I too laugh when people moan they never win anything, yet never actually enter any...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Just today I won a premium subscription to Spotify worth £120. Free streaming music for a year, no adverts... I'm in heaven!