Mobile Home False invoice - Help!

ojexpress

Mar 30, 2009
Hi
need some advice on the following please.
I bought a mobile holiday home in Bournemouth in 2003 the home had 5 years left on site (12 years old and over and you need to remove them), I was aware My contract expired in August 2008 (I have the signed copy of the contract). However the mobile park did not contact me at the end of the tenure to remove the mobile home, so I contacted them in sept 2008 via email, asking what I need to do next as my contract has expired and I wish to sell my mobile home and remove it from the park. The emails were ignored, so I phoned them, they told me that they only deal with written letters, so I wrote to them, whilst I was awaiting a reply the park sent me an invoice for the ground rent from October 2008 - March 2009 of £1700. Assuming there had been some mistake I sent another letter stating again I have no contract with the Holiday Park, and purely require the Valuation of my caravan so I can sell it.
They then chose to ignore all and every detail of my letter and continue to harrass me for the £1700 ground rent, they have now seized the caravan and have now upped the amount owing to £3700, and inform me the caravan will be sold at the end of June. Unless I pay the amount owing (now £3700) to release it. Any amounts outstanding after the sale will be claimed via legal action.

Help and or advice please.

TIA

Kevin

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Someone will be along shortly with better advice for you but I do know that emails are legally submissible in court so they certainly should not be ignoring your communications. Have you got all of the evidence of your contract and subsequent communications - if so I would be inclined to send one more letter disputing then tell them to take you to court and challenge the claim but I am not an expert in this area.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Caravan Park owners seem to think themselves above the law and although caravan owners on holiday parks have very few rights, contract law and consumer law still applies.

If you don't have a contract with them for this season then you are under no obligation to pay them ground rent, however they could probably charge you storage for the amount of time it has been on this park.

The other way they have you is that you cannot remove it, they will move it outside their grounds for you then you will have to have it collected, from experience they'll charge you about £500 for this, then you would probably have to pay almost the same again to have it moved or scrapped.

The only good news is that they won't be able to sell the van for use on their site so it will be worth next to nothing to them, my advice would be to let them do what they will and take you to court, they have got no chance of getting that ground rent off you and they will have to explain to the judge why they chose to ignore your correspondence, check your contract for storage charges tho, wouldn't surprise me if they were the same as the ground rent.