gym membership - any help appreciated

sharmrp

Mar 31, 2009
hi all, I am just new to this forum, so if I have posted to the wrong place, apologies!!

My 17 year old son has just walked in. He went to a local gym with a friend for a free trial, and walked out having signed forms for a rolling contract membership.

It's a bit 'he said, she said' but he is saying he walked in, asking for a free trial, and the receptionist said he would get the forms for him. He suggested taking a membership, my son said he might if he could get time off work, the guy got him to sign the forms, for what my son thought was the trial papers, but turns out it's a month by month 'flexible' membership. He hasn't been given copy documents, and I feel he has been misled by the company.

I thought I might be able to cancel it using the cooling off period, but it appears these don't apply in these circumstances - so does anyone know of a way to get this cancelled? I called to complain and was told it is a flexible membership, not a contract, so they have no problems enforcing payment from a 17 year old.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Shar

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
I would say if he has signed something for a duration of time and is paying accordingly then it is a contract. Definitely agree with Tony and my understanding is that under eighteens are not legally enforceable by contract. Calling it by a different name is just sneaky marketing - doesnt change what it is.