Using own garage when car under warranty

SuperFurry

Apr 7, 2009
I bought an 05 Saab 9-3 from a small dealer about 4 weeks ago and it came with a 3 month warranty though the warranty covers very little. The car has nearly 60,000 miles on the clock and cost nearly £7,000. It stopped working on the weekend with an as yet unidentified fault. The dealer is around 50 miles away and although they have agreed to collect the car to look at the fault I am concerned about letting it go to them. Partly because it is a long way from me and I am worried by other people's stories of cars disappearing for weeks at a time. I understand that consumer law is on my side in the long run but I am worried about the hassle of them holding on to the car if there is a disagreement about who should pay for the repair, the cost of a hire car in the meantime, and so on. I would prefer to use a local Saab independent dealer who will give me a free courtesy car while the car is repaired, is more likely to identify the fault quickly and correctly etc. I understand there are circumstances where it is reasonable to use your own choice of garage and request a refund from the seller. Can you throw any light on these circumstances?

garethsmyth

May 20, 2009
Bolton
Hi,

The problem you face here is the fact that the car is second hand, whilst you still have rights to satisfactory quality etc, your rights, or should I say your expectations have to be considerably less. The courts have not been particularly clear on this area of consumer law, and have often provided contradictory judgments on various cases. You would probably be better having the car inspected by the manufacturer to establish the fault and if the manufacturer confirms that such a fault shouldn't have occurred giving due respect for age, mileage etc, then you should be able to claim fundamental breach but the law is far from certain and the harsh reality is that you ay be stuck with a broken car..

Gareth