Can u get ur money back from a direct debit

student88

Aug 6, 2008
Hey guys

Basically someone has stolen my mobile's simcard and racked up massive bills for three consequtive months.

This account was dormant before. I never used this simcard, as i had another phone with more minutes. This sim was only costing me £4 a month so i never really bothered using it.

As i am a university student i don't live at home. So i dont get a chance to see my mobile phone bills or bank statements on a monthly basis.

I only noticed these outgoings yesterday when i returned home from travelling!

Surely their fraud detection service should have recognised these abnormal bill statements. A 5000% increase between two bills.

Do you know if there's any way i can get my money back from the mobile company as there was a direct debit set up. There is also a bill pending which i am refusing to pay by stoping the direct debit that was set up.

It'd be great if someone could offer me some advice!!

Many Thanks
Dev

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Dev,

Have you spoken to the phone company

If you exlain the situation they might waive the charges. Remember these calls cost them very little indeed

Good luck

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Yes, your first step should definitely be to ask the phone company to waive the charges. They will probably require you to report the theft to the police, so that you can get a crime number. Apparently the Citizen's Advice Bureaux can also help with challenging mobile phone bills: see Mobile phones

student88

Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for your advice guys!
I have written to 3 network today. However, they didnt sound so promising on the phone.

I should get a crime reference number from the police tomorrow. Hopefully that'll help resolve this issue.
I was really surprised that 3's fraud detection system didnt notice these anomalous bills.

Thanks Dev