HP Laptop from Curry's

Peekay

Apr 7, 2009
I bought a HP laptop from Curry's in January. After about four weeks use, one Sunday afternoon it suddenly closed itself down without warning. Appeared to have gone into hibernation mode but I couldn't get it turn on again. I took it into Curry's who sent it away to their repair offshoot (The Techguys). It came back this week, unrepaired with an engineer's report saying 'liquid damage, no coverplan'.

The laptop absolutely did not suffer 'liquid damage' before it failed. I talked to various people at Curry's and none would help at all, simply referring over and over again to this engineer's report.

Anybody offer advice on this matter? I asked around and soon found a few people who had experienced exactly the same treatment with Curry's on laptops and mobile phones. I'm appalled at the way I've been treated over this matter, since I KNOW the machine didn't suffer any liquid damage whilst in my possession. It seems a simple way for them to avoid aftercare costs and it seems I can't do a thing about it?

Thoughts or advice?
Paul.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Paul,

I would escalate this to the head office in the first instance. However, you are probably going to need to get someone else to look at it, perhaps a local computer repair shop. If they can confirm there is no liquid damage then you will be able to recover the costs and get a repair and a "big" apology. My worry would be that liquid damage could possibly be created by the repair centre, as you say it would theoretically be a good way to improve the bottom line.

Tony

Peekay

Apr 7, 2009
Tony,

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted HP directly and will send it to an authorised repairer they nominate. I also worry that liquid may have been introduced 'post mortem' to cover ass. If that is the case then I hope a good engineer would be able to prove this. We'll see. One thing for sure; I'm tuned in to any stories that Dixons Group are attempting to take out costs by refusing legitimate claims under warranty. I've heard one or two now and of course been on the receiving end personally.

Thanks,
Paul.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
If they really are trying to get out of post-care costs, then that is outrageous. My advice would be the same as it always is in a situation where a retailer is trying to get out of their obligations: make a nuisance of yourself. Shops rely on people being too busy, shy, self-conscious or whatever to keep coming back and asking for their rights. If you don't manage to get it sorted by through an independent report, then escalate it to head office as suggested and then just keep phoning, writing, emailing etc. If you can make it easier for them to give you what you want than to keep dealing with you, then you will win. Of course, you shouldn't have to go through all this hassle at all...

Peekay

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for your input.

Well, their engineer is either incompetent and mistaking what he has seen as liquid damage or there is something more sinister going on here. To reiterate, no form of liquid came into contact with the laptop whilst in my possession. I have full accidental damage cover on my household insurance and would simply claim if I'd spilled anything on it. I didn't and I'm not prepared to make a fraudulent claim just because Curry's want to avoid their responsiblity.

I got a first reply from HP support and they asked for the obvious basic checks to be done first. Hopefully I can quickly get to the point where a qualified engineer looks at the machine.

Unless this saga ends in a full, unreserved apology from Dixons Group I will not spend a single penny with them again. I lose 470 pounds once (for 4 weeks use of a laptop) but they lose many, many pounds each year from me, forever.

Paul.

Peekay

Apr 7, 2009
Update on 'Liquid Damaged' laptop

An update on this thread...

I arranged for HP to examine my 'liquid damaged' laptop. They collected free of charge and had the machine for just over a week. Today I collected from my local DPD depot and I'm pleased to say the laptop is now working perfectly again. Looking at the engineer's report - no mention of any liquid damage. The report details a faulty motherboard and CPU which they replaced with no hassle. They also upgraded the bios (interesting given the recent issues with overheating nVidia graphics chips on HP, Dell and Mac laptops!). Anyway a big well done to HP!

As for Curry's, they either employ lazy incompetents or have a policy of trying to avoid their warranty responsibilities. I will be seeking an explanation from somebody senior tomorrow together with an apology and some compensation. My advice is to take care when you buy anything from Dixon's Group and don't let them fob you of with cop outs like 'liquid damage'. I still feel very angry towards them and won't forget the conversations with their staff where they more or less accused me lying when I told them no liquid had ever been near the machine.

Take care!
Paul.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Interesting points raised here. I recently went to buy a laptop from this store and was amazed at how rubbish their advice was. I get the feeling that their staff suffer from the little bit of knowledge going a long way syndrome. Let us know how you get on when you speak to them - I know a fair few people who have had these problems.