New Car

nigelk2

Apr 8, 2009
I ordered a new car yesterday over the telephone having phoned a reputable dealer. I gave the dealer the detailed specification for the car. He came back to me later in the day and we agreed a price and I paid a deposit of £1,000 over the telephone via credit card. The dealer stated that the car would be delivered to me in a maximum of 3 months as it will be required to be factory ordered. The dealer then called me back again and confirmed that the car had been ordered from the manufacturer. I have received a telephone call today from the dealer to advise that he made a mistake on the price quoted i.e he has underquoted and cannot do the deal for the price agreed. He also advised that he has refunded the £1,000 deposit to my credit card. I have advised him that this is not acceptable and that I expect him to honour our agreement (nothing was signed as everything was done over the phone). The dealer confirmed that he accepted the deal in good faith but simply got the price wrong and has now cancelled the contract (according to him). Where do I stand legally? Can I force the dealer to supply the goods ordered for the price originally agreed? How should I proceed? Many thanks

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I think it would depend if the car was advertised or on display at the "wrong" price that the dealer specified. If it was then I think you may have a chance.

If he just made a mistake over the phone with nothing written down to confirm this price, and the car isn't priced at that price anywhere else or advertised as such, I'd guess it is going to be pretty difficult to force him legally to provide the car at that price.

At least he refunded your deposit money quickly. A few car companies would have held onto it as long as possible before refunding it to you at the last possible moment.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
I asked my friend who is a car dealer and there is nothing you can do. Whilst it is annoying retailers are allowed to make mistakes and this dealer would be considered as having taken all reasonable measures to rectify the issue - they are not obligated to honour the original price as far as he is concerned unless it is advertised or confirmed in writing.