In Store Baby Portraits Hard Sale

badger81

Apr 9, 2009
Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right section to be posting in, but here goes.
My Partner took my Daughter along to a Baby Portrait sitting in Boots. A Professional Photography Company obviosly come in and set up and provide the service.

She went for a £5 sample portrait which she agreed and signed for, but whilst taking a couple of pictures, the photographer set up different poses etc and took a whole load more. I Know this is the whole idea of the "special" offer.

Once completed, The Photographer went on to show my partner the most expensive package (£100s) of all these lovely pictures she had taken. My partner really liked these and got a bit caught up in the moment and was told she had to agree to buy same day. So being caught up in the moment agreed and paid for the most expensive package.

It was only when she got home that she realised what she had done. Also after explaining to me how this "£5" photo trip turned out to be a little more than that.

Now whilst I cant ignore the fact that my partner agreed and signed up and paid for this, When I phoned the HQ the next day to ask if we could reduce/cancel our package they have refused outright. I have now asked to speak to somebody senior as I believe my partner was Hard sold to! They never showed her the range of products available.

On the contract/ receipt, it states that "these portraits are a personal product therfore have no resale value therefore refunds will not be possible. However this does not affect my Statutory rights".

As they were working away from their premises am I within my rights to ask for a refund or reduction in package as the portraits do not get delivered until 3 weeks, therefore are not even printed yet!

Does anybody have any advise on this matter?? i.e. Do I have any rights or a case

Thanks in Advance,

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Hard sell

Yep, I find these portrait companies very fond of the hard sell. They entice you in with a no obligation portrait very cheaply, take hundreds of pictures and then try and pressgang you into spending 100's of pounds on them, even if you didn't want them in the first place.

My wife fell for this, took a "free picture" coupon into TJ's, and came back having spent nearly £150... It was a long time ago now, but it still irks me to see the practice still in common use.

Incidentally, are there any legal requirements for the company to dispose of any unwanted photographs of children?

badger81

Apr 9, 2009
In Store Baby Portraits Hard Sale Update

Hi All,

Just an update, After refusing to be told "there was nothing that could be done as my partner had signed etc" and "once the pictures are on the system we cant stop the order..." by the people in the office. After looking at some of the information on Statortory rights, I asked to speak with the Area Sales manager.

He did call me back and listened to my complaint about the hard sale and said that it would be dealt with etc. Then I mentioned "Statortory Rights" and he offered me a refund immediately and said he doesnt feel that the term "sale" should come into the agreement as the portraits should be that nice that no pressure should be applied by his staff.
TBH, He was very fair, but the people that I initially spoke with in the office would do nothing for me.

So to sum up, I have my money back and have learnt never let my partner go for Portraits with my supervision:)