BBC Watchdog: Are electric cars the future?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Motorists will be offered subsidies of up to £5,000 to encourage them to buy electric or plug-in hybrid cars under plans announced by the Government. Would this motivate you to buy one?

It's part of the Government's £250m plan to promote low carbon transport over the next five years. Exactly how the money would be distributed is yet to be decided but Transport Secretary Geoff Hoon said it would be available only to people buying cars that ran entirely, or for the vast majority of their time, on electricity.

Ministers expect the cars to hit the showrooms in 2011. Hoon said that there was huge potential to reduce emissions, with less than 0.1% of the UK's 26 million cars electric.

At first the focus of the strategy would be on urban transport. "Given that 60 per cent of journeys by car are under 25 miles, there's no reason why someone using a car for commuting on a regular basis will not be able to charge up their car at home, take it to work and come home again well within the distance an electric vehicle should be able to travel," Hoon said.

The strategy also includes plans to provide £20m for charging points and other necessary infrastructure.

Send us your comments
Is this a good move by the Government? What would encourage you to switch to an electric car? Do you already own an electric car?

Read the full story on BBC News.

Are electric cars the future?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
No Electric Cars are not the future, not at the moment anyway.

They are too 'different' and limited compared to the cars we have now. Their performance is dismal, they don't go far between lengthy charges and what the green lobbyists seem to have forgotten is that the electricity to power these cars has to be generated from somewhere... A power station, which is hardly the greenest thing in the world.

The only way Electrical cars would work for me would be if;-

1. They had performance similar to that of current cars in terms of speed and mileage on a "full tank" or as it would be a "full charge", this leads me onto my second issue which would solve the second hald of this first issue

2. If the car could somehow transfer its energy of movement back into itself, so it is in effect acting as a dynamo, it could become self sustaining. Thus giving it a far greater range (it couldn't go 'forever' of course, friction and changing speed would use up energy, but by being able to sustain itself by transferring the speed it travels at and movement into electrical energy it would be far greener and travel much further).

3. Currently the batteries required are much too heavy. There'd have to be huge advances in this technology to get a battery small enough, quick enough to recharge and with long enough lifespan to cover the needs of someone who wants a car.

So at the moment I just don't see it as viable.

I see the Hydrogen Fuel Cell car a far more viable, and greener form of solution to the problem of Co2 emissions from cars. The reason being simply that it is much more like what we are used to now and has performance similar to many mainstream cars and it only produces water as a waste product.