Misleading saving???

ProdigalSon

Apr 17, 2009
Hi,

I hope you can advise.

Last week I visited a Volkswagen car dealership and bought a new Mark5 Golf. The car had been advertised online as "£15,500 saving £3,500". Unfortunately my partner was ill when we bought the car so we didn't even negotiate and did not pay much attention to the detail as we were happy that the price paid was the advertised £15,500. However, after looking more closely at the receipt there is a deduction of only £2,500 which seemed odd. We queried this with the dealership over the phone and when the salesman checked, (ie it was not obvious to him) it transpires that the saving was comparing the £15,500 with the equivalent Mark6 Golf price even though the Mark5 list price had obviously not been increased. To my mind these are different products marketed elsewhere at different prices. Am I justified in feeling misled and if so what can do about it? The dealership is still offering apparently large discounts online on new Golfs but I am not sure of forum rules so will not post the site or dealership unless requested.
Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi PG,

The relevant legisaltion is: Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 | Consumer Information

A letter to head office stating how disappoited you are etc. might do the trick.

The problem for you with the legisaltion above is that the legisation is within the scope of criminal law and does not help you directly i.e. you would have to report them to trading stadnards and they would decide waht to do

Tony