BBC Watchdog: Flower delivery that's bloomin' awful

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
We must love flowers in the UK - we spend £2 billion a year on them. For Valentine's Day, Mother's Day or even just a birthday - a surprise bouquet is the perfect way to show you're thinking of someone.

But Watchdog has received complaints about an online florist called Bloomin Delightful that's failing to deliver flowers on time or even at all.

"I still love you"
Emma Bradley ordered her Mother's Day flowers from Bloomin Delightful. She got her Mum, Kate, a bunch of her favourite freesias. They were particularly important this year because Emma and Kate had fallen out and they were a peace offering: "It was really important because they were to say "I really care about you" and even though we've fallen out, "I'm still thinking of you on Mother's Day" and "I still love you" Emma explained.

The flowers didn't arrive on time and it looked like Emma hadn't bothered with Mother's Day at all. Kate was gutted.

The bouquet finally turned up two days after Mothers Day - they were delivered by the postman. They didn't come in any water so weren't in great shape and they didn't last long: "They came on Tuesday and by Wednesday tea time they were in the compost." Emma told us.

The flowers were supposed to be an apology but Kate and Emma were so unhappy with them they just made matters worse.

Watchdog tests the service
Researchers ordered four bunches from Bloomin Delightful, just after lunch, the Thursday before Easter. Bloomin Delightful promises that 98 per cent of flowers arrive the day after ordering so we expected ours would arrive by Saturday.

None of the flowers arrived on Easter Saturday or even on the next Tuesday so the next day, our researchers started calling to find out why.

We kept ringing but no one at Bloomin Delightful answered the phone. When we emailed we did get a reply saying the flowers were on the way.

The flowers did all finally arrive that day. They were delivered by Royal Mail without any water and were four days late.

Bloomin Delightful's response
"I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused among yourselves and among our customers. Also during the Mother's day season due to the high demand of orders we did put a notice on our website on all the descriptions of the flowers that orders placed after 6am on the 20 March would not be delivered until Tuesday, however any orders that were received late we did offer either a replacement/reimbursement. As of now we will start taking drastic measures to improve our services for our customers:

1.**We will begin recruiting more administrative staff to take on mixed roles that will benefit the company and our customers and therefore make answering phonelines and emails a much quicker process.
2.**We will then be operating on a seven day basis.
3.**Refunds will be dealt with more efficiently.
4.**We will also be improving our website and amending any errors.
5.**Finally we'll look into looking after our flowers better and providing a much quicker delivery service.

Once again Bloomin Delightful apologises for the disappointment and our lack of service to our customers. Please pass our apologies."

Flower delivery that's bloomin' awful

stephe86

Feb 22, 2012
My boyfriend ordered me a bouquet of flowers, a teddy and a balloon for Valentines. They were ordered well in advance. On Valentines Day I had a call from the local paper to say the box had been found dumped down a residential road on the grass verge, the contents of the box missing.Obviously I was upset as this ruined the surprise and my boyfriend was angry that this had happened.We rang bloomin delightful who couldn't have cared less. They told him to ring Royal Mail, to which he replied it was their job to make sure the item arrives, not his. He asked them what he was supposed to do..... they suggested they send out a new bunch but that it wouldn't arrive until the 16th! He asked to speak to a manager, he was hold there was no manager in that day (which I find hard to believe on the florists busiest day of the year). Despite them being less than half a hour from the delivery address, they were not prepared to send someone out to deliver the flowers so they arrived on time or arrange any sort of good will gesture. It was either a refund and no flowers or flowers 2 days late. The staff were rude also. They said they would process the refund and when he rang back he was told it had been processed, he asked if he could drive to collect the flowers as well as a refund instead if they weren't going to do anything to resolve the issue. The response was he had to be there by 5 or he wouldn't be able to get the flowers. So even as a good will gesture, they were not prepared to even wait 15 mins for him if there was traffic! He then drove for over a hour to pick up the flowers so I would have flowers for Valentines. Terrible terrible company. They also said to ring when he arrives and a manager will take him up...... the manager who a hour before we were told wasn't in that day! When he arrived he didn't even get an apology!Now yes, you could say this is Royal Mail's fault, but it is Bloomin Delightfuls responsibility to use a reliable delivery method, plus the way the complaint was dealt with was atrocious. I will never use this company, neither will my boyfriend and I will be telling all my friends and family the same thing! I just wish we had of seen all the terrible reviews online first before ordering. My boyfriend rang today and they said he hadnt been given a refund and that he couldnt proove that they said he could have one. This company most definately is dodgy!

Jagojames

Jul 18, 2012
London
It seams I am only one in an ever growing list of disgruntled customers that have received poor service from Bloomin Delightful. My flowers arrived only two days late but that was enough to miss my girlfriends birthday.

So far they have not refunded me and have asked me to return the flowers. I have found their service shocking and their customer service even worse. They just dont care about their customers!!!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

I have been advised to write a formal letter of complaint to Mr David Rogers. The MD. I'm pretty sure this will only get filed in the bin. (Address below)

Bloomin Delightful
Unit 19 Clock Tower Estate
Clock Tower Road
Isleworth
Middlesex
TW7 6GF

KevinKeeley

Dec 13, 2012
AWFUL. AVOID.

Same story as everyone else- and what to do if this happens to you!

I ordered 'next day' flowers for three days' time, they never showed up, firm tries to blame Royal Mail, I point out that my contract is with them, they say "We issue refunds after six weeks once the package is returned by Royal Mail" - six weeks later I have to ask again (of course) - "the product was returned but is no longer in a saleable condition" (no SH*T Sherlock!).

I say "nonsense". I catch the one honest person there (probably the newest employee!) who emails an apology and promise of a refund -Hooray!

... a week later "Where's this refund please?" - "I'm a manager - the last message was a mistake; no refund coming and refer to previous statements".

So I don't get upset, simply shrug, ring my bank (Santander, on the ball this time as it happens) and claim a VISA CHARGEBACK (this is protection against fraud EVEN ON DEBIT CARDS - USE THIS!) - for non-delivered goods. Money back straight away - an affadavit to sign and post back, with copies of all these emails, later on. This is why phone calls are not as good as emails in disputes.

Final thing to do: email to this bunch of thieving cowboys: "See, you thieving tosspots, don't **** with the informed consumer - we have rights and we know them. This was only, after all, SIXTEEN POUNDS we were taking about - enjoy your cheap, shabby lives if you have to argue over that".

------------
Don't let them hide behind 'Distance Selling Reglations don't apply to fresh flowers' - this is only true if they are delivered and you change your mind for no reason. If they are not delivered, this is moot. If they are not satisfactory, such as 7 stems for 'large bouquet', then you CAN return them - but make sure you write stating this, and keep a copy.

I'm going to visit their actual premises and have a go at them next time I'm passing - see how they like it (19 Clock Tower Estate, Clock Tower Road, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 6GF)

Anyway.. a victory for the honest consumer.

Moneyclaims4u.com

Mar 11, 2013
We sympathise with all of you who have used this company and have experienced poor service.

Only advice I can give is issue proceedings. I have sued this company three times. On two occasions we were awarded cost of flowers plus £100 non-pecuniary damages plus court costs. On the third time Bloomin Delightful settled out of court for the costs of flowers plus costs.

Hope this helps.

malcolcj

Mar 18, 2013
I ordered a “Special Lily and Rose bouquet” for my Mum for Mother’s Day from Bloomin Delightful, they are her favourite flowers. When the flowers arrived it didn’t include any lilies. I complained and was asked for a photo which I sent. They then stated their Terms and Conditions which say they can substitute any flowers if they are out of stock and don't even have to let the customer know they've done it. Basically they can send whatever flowers they want regardless of what you’ve ordered and paid for. The bouquet they sent was definitely a cheaper bouquet, although of course they won’t admit to that. Is there any point in them having photos on their website? I was angry about this but after reading all the posts here I suppose I should be grateful that she received any flowers at all. Is there nothing that can be done to stop this firm taking people’s money?

Moneyclaims4u.com

Mar 11, 2013
I ordered a “Special Lily and Rose bouquet” for my Mum for Mother’s Day from Bloomin Delightful, they are her favourite flowers. When the flowers arrived it didn’t include any lilies. I complained and was asked for a photo which I sent. They then stated their Terms and Conditions which say they can substitute any flowers if they are out of stock and don't even have to let the customer know they've done it. Basically they can send whatever flowers they want regardless of what you’ve ordered and paid for. The bouquet they sent was definitely a cheaper bouquet, although of course they won’t admit to that. Is there any point in them having photos on their website? I was angry about this but after reading all the posts here I suppose I should be grateful that she received any flowers at all. Is there nothing that can be done to stop this firm taking people’s money?
They cannot substitute flowers if they are out of stock. The implied terms, namely S15 Sale of Goods Act, are very clear. You are ordering as per sample on website. If the flowers differ they are in breach of contract and you are entitled to a refund. Furthermore, you may be entitled to non- pecuniary damages of up tp £100 for distress and disappointment.

I have just began our 4th court case against Bloomin Delightful today. Issue proceedings - it is the only way you will get a refund, and do not worry about the costs - if successful Bloomin Delightful pay them.

For the avoidance of doubt their T&C's are avoidable. I have proved that in court.

jadejones

Mar 27, 2013
I have also had a lot of hassle from this company I ordered 'next day' (a week in advance) flowers, chocolates a teddy and balloon for my bestfriends birthday last year as we live hundreds of miles away from each other. They never arrived I spent 2 weeks calling a premium rate number with no answer and emailing repeatedly they all bounced back.
I then contacted the bank who issued a refund.
since then Blooming delightful have been messaging and writing to me threatening legal action as I have 'fraudulently recalled the money'. They have told me they will now be writing to the recipient to get the money from them!
This company is a joke I asked for tracking details and I was told they don't use tracking so I asked for proof of postage I was told they don't have it.
I have been called a liar and a thief by this company (so has my friend who didn't receive her gifts and was left very upset) I will be pursuing legal action for harassment as it has now been 3 months and even though I have repeatedly requested they don't contact me again unless it is through a solicitor I'm still getting almost daily emails and letters!

becbec86

Apr 2, 2013
and another unsatisfied customer...while I only ordered mine last Wednesday they still haven't appeared. They were for a friend whose nan had sadly passed away. Think its time to claim money back and head back over to interflora!!!

MsR

Apr 7, 2013
I've personally found no problems at all with 'Charity Flowers' who operate out of Guernsey. Recipients have received their flowers in good time and have been very pleased with them.