Airline additional charges

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I know budget airlines have always added extra charges on to their fares for baggage etc, but is the practice spreading? I've recently booked flights with flyglobespan, who I think of as a cheap but not bargain basement airline, and I had to pay to put any luggage at all in the hold. I'm sure I didn't have to do this last time I flew with them. Is this likely to become standard practice, do you think?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I think they will try whatever they can to get more money out of us while hiding the true cost of the flight from the headline price. Credit card surcharges, paying for meals, fuel surcharges etc etc.

Tony

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Flight Surcharges

I'm afraid that stealthy price levies are likely to become more and more prevalent...

The only thing that will stop this practice will be customers refusing to use the airline in question. I, for example, will go to almost any length to avoid using Ryanair.

However, even quality airlines are beginning to charge an incredible amount for certain services. I recently flew from London to Tblilisi on a Business Class ticket (costing around £1,600) and was charged a further £420 for just under 40kg of extra luggage. It worked out at about £12 per kilo...and this is even more expensive than Ryanair's 15 EUR per kg excess.

Hopefully, with the price of oil dropping at the moment, we might see a reduction in fares are surcharges...but I would expect that this windfall will be retained by the airlines themselves as comptetion is not particularly fierce in all but the transatlantic routes.

glider3560

Apr 9, 2009
I suppose rather than thinking of them as extra charges, just include them in the price of the flights when you compare. They may still work out cheaper! It is also a farer system if people pay for what they actually use.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Are there comparison sites, which include all costs?

I am trying to find comparison sites which include all costs of normal airline travel.
I would list them as airport entrance at departure to airport exit at destination, including 20 kgs of hold baggage + one carry on bag.

From a users viewpoint, I don't really care - nor have any control - of the tax paid by the airline to the airport, nor any of their other taxes. etc.
If the airline reckons it can fly without paying for fuel that would be ok; but why should I buy a ticket - then be charged extra for some of the fuel the plane uses!
In that case the ticket, without fuel surcharge, must be fraudulant; as it would be without any value. It does not provide the service or goods advertised.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I realise that many politicians are a bit busy now, but I consider that the consumer protection acts should be invoked in many cases. Misleading adverts are used to entice a person to book on a plane offering a service of flight between two locations for a price.
That price is often a lie, as the plane cannot fly without the fuel which is charged as an extra; nor cannot it take off or land without paying the airport taxes which are often charged extra.

mcmack

Aug 24, 2012
Budget airlines can be really tight and strict which is why they can be so cheap. A great way to save money is to use sites like MyVoucherCodes which has discount codes on quality travel brands like British Airways and Hotels.com, which might save you more in the long run.

kayelondon

Jan 26, 2012
actually Alitalia is more expensive than BA and also so called budget airlines such as Ryan Air or Easyjet have very little price difference when taking into account travel to Gatwick, Stansted or Luton plust additional debit/credit fees please fees for some imaginary checkin which is forced on you anyway and then the other baggage fee...

Galeforce

Jan 18, 2013
One little thing people overlook is airport Tax. It is more expensive to land in Heathrow than Gatwick, for example.

bonniesbrn

Oct 12, 2016
London
I agree with Toni. Airline companies can come up with unthinkable and never heard of "extras" just to get more money from you. Always read the small text before you book a ticket.