Lithium polymer batteries warranty - help!

force41b

Apr 20, 2009
Two months ago a purchase 4 lithium polymer batteries, I use them to race electric, radio controlled cars.
These batteries do require TLC, you must not let them run flat, over charge them (they will explode) or submit them to extreme changes of temperature (around a 25C change). They require chargers that have the specific Lipo settings to charge if not this will also cause them to explode.

I used two in one car, two in another, within 1 month, a pair of them that were used in one car began to swell, very bad sign. I took them back to the shop, with proof of purchase, the shop were fine as expected, they knew I was experienced with the hobby and would have followed the rules, I explained that all batteries had been charged with the same charger on the same setting. The only difference between the pair was that the pair that swelled were only draining about 30% of there overall charge whereas the pair which were fine had about 50% of there charge remaining when they were put on charge. I explained this to the shop and they said it would make no difference, as long as you take 15% out of the batteries, they would be safe to charge.

The shop told me they ship them straight back to their supplier and get new ones in for me.

After 1 month I heard from the shop, the supplier had told them that the batteries had been over charged and were not faulty so they would not be replacing them. The supplier told the shop I could call them and so I did.
I argued the case that if I had overcharged one pair of batteries the other pair should have swelled aswell. The chap on the end of the phone agreed that it was very strange but would not admit fault, told me the batteries have now been destroyed as they were no longer safe, and told me the best he could do is offer me new batteries at trade price.

Where do I go now? I am positive the batteries were faulty, as if I had done something wrong I would have four dodgy batteries, not two

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Your contract of sale is with the shop not the manufacturer, so you can make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act. Generate a letter here and send it to the shop:

Consumer Direct - Sale of Goods Act 1979

Let us know what they say and I can advise on the next stage. If they have any sense they will give you new ones.

Cheers,

Tony

BTW At lease you can now get all your batteries at trade price. What is the mark-up out of interest?