engine replacement

gary davies

Apr 23, 2009
At the end of January the engine in my Renault Scenic failed. I took the car to Nationwide Autocentres.

On investigation they said I needed a replacement engine and turbo and advised me they could source an engine but the garage manager said he was in dispute with his engine supplier about a faulty replacement engine that had been supplied to him so he advised me to source my own engine and they would do all the work, which included removing the existing engine, stripping off all the ancillary parts cleaning them and testing and fitting them to the replacement engine and then refitting.

I sourced a reconditioned engine and turbo for 1250 pounds. The engine arrived and the garage said the Head was wrong and it didn't work so it was returned to the engine supplier for repairing. The engine supplier investigated the fault and said Nationwide had timed it up wrong, they repaired it free of charge and then returned it to my garage and they then refitted it but it still didn't work. Nationwide autocentres then phoned me and told me that they had had enough of the troubles and told me to come and collect my car and get it off their property, after paying the bill of course, 1700 pound just for labour for a car that still didn't work.

I then sent the whole car upto the people who I bought the engine off for investigation. They discovered that there were 3 faulty diesel injectors, the air intake pipe was missing and they also discovered that nothing had been cleaned and tested. All this is contributing to the car not working. I now have to pay the engine suppliers 750 ponds to remove the engine to clean all the ancillary parts that Nationwide said they had done but obviously had not and i have to pay 135 pounds for a new air intake pipe that Nationwide lost but say they didn't.

I have spoken to Nationwide about this and the manager said "you show me in writing where i said we would clean and inspect your ancillary parts before fitting them and i'll reimburse you". He did say this but nothing was ever in writing and if he didn't bill me for this work how can they justify a labour bill so high.

So far I look to be spending 3850 pounds on a replacement and labour.

Please help me I am at my wits end.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Gary,

This is particularly tricky - personally I would say that your next port of call should be the head office and a well crafted letter with a formal report from the engine provider.

The resolution is the new engine fitted to the agreed standard, give them 14 days to respond and mention Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 | Consumer Information

Did you pay for any of this with a credit card?

Tony