BBC Watchdog: On the programme - Monday 27 April

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
In the news this week
Footage of police officers hitting out at the G20 protests has dominated the news for the past fortnight. Will cameras being everywhere change policing?

Increasingly high quality cameras are included in mobile phones, and dedicated cameras are now cheap and compact.
"This has totally changed the landscape in terms of police accountability," says Prof Stenning. "There is nothing they can do which isn't recorded."

Read the full story on BBC News.

Who's watching you?
With millions of CCTV cameras, a growing network of number-plate recognition cameras, one of the largest DNA databases in the world and plans for a super database to log all our phone calls and emails, the UK has become one of the most watched places in the world. In a new series on BBC Two, Who's Watching You?, Richard Bilton explores the hidden world of surveillance to find out why increasingly we are all being watched and why some people think we have already become a surveillance society. What do you think? Read more about the programme and have your say below.

Budget 2009
The Chancellor, Alistair Darling, has delivered his Budget for 2009. From alcohol and fuel to benefits and savings, find out how the Budget will affect your finances.

Whatever you're budget, it's important to always keep a good 'cash cushion'. This is an emergency fund that you keep in an instant access bank or building society account so if you ever need money you can get it straight away. Experts recommend that you keep six to 12 months worth of expenditure in that account.

Download the latest Watchdog factsheet for more financial advice.

E-book readers

One small way some people are saving money is by buying an e-book reader. A paper book can store precisely one book, whereas an e-book can potentially store hundreds.

Use the guide on BBC Click to find out some of the benefits of using an e-book reader and what to look out for when buying one.

Your comments
Our report that some Minis that could catch fire while you're driving has caused a heated debate.

Comment 11 - longybel says: "This exact same thing happened to my 51 plate mini, and even worse was that my insurance company wouldn't cover me! I had to fork out £1,500 for a new steering pump and to replace all the wiring and parts destroyed by the fire!"

While comment 12 - blackminniemouse wrote: "My 2002 mini one (petrol) caught fire last May as a result of the power steering pump. The only warning I got was that the steering became light as I turned. Fortunately I was collecting my daughter from dancing and was able to park. There were no warning indicator lights on, I only realised there was a serious problem when I got out and seen flames coming from underneath the car and smoke coming from the bonnet."

But the most commented on report this week is Property management fees.
Comment 8 - JonEvang says: "It is an outrage that we pay these companies and receive nothing in return!"

There's some positive advice from comment 16 - LynSDel:
"Our management company was useless and charged us a huge amount of money for doing nothing? I did some research into Right to Manage and phoned a company in Guildford (Leasehold Advice Centre) who helped us go through the process. It was painless, not that difficult, cost each flat approx £300 and just required everyone to communicate. We were a small block and everyone participated, but the result was amazing. We now have a local couple to clean and do the garden. We solved the rat problem. We decided to pay for double-glazing, and the flats look a thousand times better. I would encourage anyone to go through this as the results are well worth the cost."

Coming up on the programme

The wishy-washy regulations that allow the water companies to clean up at our expense. How the DVLA is removing people's right to ride motorbikes and drive cars for no reason - forcing them to retake their test. Plus, the woman who despite having breast cancer and ten operations isn't, according to her insurers, critically ill.

On the programme - Monday 27 April