lovefilm

cassie

Apr 26, 2009
hi hoping you can help me with this:

I today used a link for Lovefilm which stated it was a free months trial then 2 months for the price of one, so i just signed up about 5 minutes ago and when it completed it told me I would be charged today for the account!!!!! I re-read this and it states 1 months FREE trial!! I just phoned them and told them I want to CANCEL the account but they say the money had already been taken and they will not refund me!!!!!!! Can they do this when i signed up under the impression i was getting a free trial first and called to cancel less than 5 minutes later because of this?!! Surely they cannot refuse to refund me within the same hour?!! I would never have signed up if It didn't say free trial first because I haven't got enough money to cover it this month! I have taken a screen print of the link from them which states it is a free trial then the 2 for 1 afterwards! Can anyone help pls?!! :(:(:(

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You can cancel under the Distance Selling Regulations (DSRs)

From https://www.lovefilm.com/info/terms_and_conditions.html

9.3 If you have just signed up to LOVEFiLM and have changed your mind about subscribing, you may in certain circumstances have a legal right to cancel your membership before the service starts and receive a full refund of your first month's subscription fee. Ordinarily you may cancel the subscription within seven working days of the day after the date on which you subscribe if we have not already commenced providing services to you. However, by subscribing you agree that we may dispatch your first disc within that seven working day period and you acknowledge that by agreeing to this, this cancellation option is not available to you if we have already assigned your first disc for dispatch. If you are eligible to cancel in this manner, you may do so in accordance with the cancellation instructions in this clause 9 (Cancellation by you and Termination by us). In order to arrange a refund of your first month's subscription fee, you will then also need to contact us to advise us that you have cancelled in accordance with your statutory rights and to request a refund of your first month's subscription fee. Once you have completed these steps, we will cancel your subscription and process your refund.

cassie

Apr 26, 2009
Thankyou for this, i didn't think they could refuse my refund in the same day!! I'm waiting for a supervisor to email me now, if they don't by the end of the day I will be emailing their own terms and conditions to them!! Thanks so much! I feel better now haha :)

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
It's amazing how many companies "can't" offer a refund and when they are reminded of their legal obligations and the sale of goods acts, suddenly find that they can actually do it.

Good luck Cassie.

I'd email them their terms and conditions anyway and highlight the relevant bits.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Do you know I was literally about to sign up to this company- think I will wait. Let us know how you get on!