Charity shop refunds

serenitybabe74

Apr 29, 2009
I bought a microwave from a local christian charity shop for cash. Took it home, cleaned it and then went to use it only to find that the turntable wheels must be from another model and are too big.

I only paid £10 for this but as I am on benefits money is very tight. I was wondering how I stand about getting a refund for this? They did mention when I bought it that they only gave credit notes, but as I think it should be classed as faulty I am wondering if they can keep to this.

You see I now don't feel comfortable with purchasing anything electrical from here again and really need a microwave which the refund would help me to buy.

Can you please advise me on the best course of action.

Thanks

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I would be amazed if they didn't give you a refund, if you tell them what you have said here. What a shame it would be if you had to resort to the sale of goods act, whereby you are certainly entitled to a refund in full.
I am surprised that they sell electrical goods, as a lot of organisations don't because of the safety implications.
Is there anywhere locally you can get stuff specifically aimed at those on benefits. We have a charity here (Mid Wales) called Phoenix, which refurbishes and checks for safety, donated items of furniture etc... I know they are very very good value. I know someone who obtained a nearly new fridge-freezer for £20. That Citizen's Advice Bureau may be able to tell you if you have such an organisation near you? Hope you get lucky!