Faulty Sony Ericsson K850i

LouiseGunn

Apr 29, 2009
Hi

I need some advice.

I bought the sony ericsson k850i from carphone warehouse in December. Within about 2 months the phone would switch it self off and freeze. Then one of the button started to come loose. Carphone warehouse said it would cost me £45 to fix. Which i think is very extreme. Specially since this is not my fault. The button that has come off is the star key which means the phone cant be locked and as it is a touch screen phone it easily goes off in my pocket.

I am only a student and it took me long enough to save up for the phone and i cant afford the £45 fee to fix the phone. What i am wondering is that if i can request for my money back.

The phone is still under guarantee and is only 4 months old.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Louise,

They are required to fix this, it is your statutory right - assuming you haven't abused it.

If they can't fix it, they are allowed a reasonable number of attempts, then they can replace it (exact same model) and finally they can give a refund.

These rights are provided by the Sale of Goods Act.

The other thing, while it is being fixed demand a free loan phone as the act also states that you shouldn't be significantly inconvenienced and I guess this is your only phone

Let me know if this makes sense.

Tony

anansi

May 3, 2009
Yeah, I believe Tony is right, Lousie. Carphone Warehouse should have taken care of this immediately. So what happened now? Any update? :confused:

Canamo

May 31, 2009
Did the store you go to have a engineer on site? if not you should have one nearby, take it to them could be an idea. As Tony said, they are required to fix it on the basis that its not been damaged by the customer, sounds like general wear and tear to me.

If you still don't get any luck with the store, demand it be sent away under warranty under the repair job heading 'some keys do not respond' so an engineer can judge weather it be warranty or not, most will come back repaired (unless in a particularly poor state of condition). Plus there is no risk as if it is not warranty they will send it back without charge (still unrepaired though unfortunately).

You also have the option of contacting Sony directly as they are also obviously responsible for your warranty aswell, they may need proof of purchasing which again the store should be able to provide.