Alienware laptop faulty

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
Hi,

I have an Alienware Laptop, which is well know for top of the end laptop, it was bought 1 year and 2 months ago, and now it breaks down (screen does not show when laptop is turned on) all of a sudden.

Warranty expired on 2 months ago, but for the price that I paid, this laptop is suppose to last much longer than that.

I contacted Alienware, at first they mentioned that eventhough warranty has expired, I am covered under statutory law,but when I called today, they said that they are still discussing whether to cover my laptop faulty under statutpry law or not. My question is, is it optional for them whether to cover my laptop faulty?? For a product that I paid (around 1700 pounds) for, it should have last much longer than 14 months.

thanks for reading and anyone who giving me advice here.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Well it is great news that they mentioned that you are covered by your statutory rights - most companies wouldn't mention this. I bet the person you spoke too the first time is having his hands ironed as we speak...

Anyway, I had my 14 month PS3 replaced for free last week using these rights and it was cheaper than your laptop.

Keep at them.

Tony

BTW I always wanted one of those but have changed my mind now.

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
thanks for replying : )

Hi Tony,

its great to hear someone replied so fast. : )

and it is great to hear that you got you PS3 replaced, even after 14 months, can I know how do you approach them? like what sort of thing you raised up which persuaded them for them to replaced the faulty machine, it would help me a lot if you could give me some advice so when I talk to them I have got more information by myself.

anything more information regarding statutory rights will help me now so if you have any website that have information it would help as well

Laptop's performance is good actually, its just that all of the sudden it dies, maybe workmanship wise it is not that good.

John

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Have a look at this thread about PS3. Mine wasn't broken at the beginning of the thread : ) There is a letter there that you can use too

Tony

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
which PS 3 thread?

Hi Tony,

Can I know which PS 3 thread that you are mention to?

I found 3 PS 3 thread in the forum but I haven saw any letter that you mention, if you can point me to it (or tell me the thread title) it would be great.

thanks again Tony.

really appreciated your help.

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
found the letter

Hey tont,

Found the letter that you wrote,
thanks for help, now I can get on to
contact them with new information you given

thanks a bunch

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Great let us know how you get on - I don't reckon you will have any problem. I think that letter probably needs to be a little stronger and explicitly mention that your will start the small claims process if you do not receveive a reply within 14 days.

Good luck

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
what do you mean by small claims?

Hi Tony,

Sure I will post out my process of my situation so anyone else who have similar problem could have a reference as well.

"I think that letter probably needs to be a little stronger and explicitly mention that your will start the small claims process if you do not receveive a reply within 14 days."

What is "the small claims process"?

thanks.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Tony's right, it's just a case of saying the right things and you will *hopefully* find a company will sit up and take notice.

I think a lot of them know if it goes to small claims, they don't have hardly a chance of winning.

Best of luck with this.

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
thanks.

I sent out a repair claim letter and hopefully someone react to it soon.

thanks for all the help so far and now I can just wait and see how it goes.

thanks again.

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
this is my letter

Here is what I wrote to them (via Email), I resent it againdue to the fact that I did not mentioned i am going to start small claim process after 14 days before.

This is a new letter for claiming a repair for my broken laptop.

As described in Sale of Goods Act 1979, I wish to claim a repair for this laptop as it is reasonable to expect a good of this nature and cost to last longer than this(it is reasonable for a laptop to last much longer than 14 months).
It is my right(Under Sale of Goods Act 1979)to get a repair/replacement from Alienware and Alienware should cover all the cost involved.
I would like to arrange a depot order and send it back to repair ( reference number xxxxxx-xxxxxx)

If you think this is something that you cannot make a decision with, please forward this email to your superior.

Please respond to my email within 14 days from receipt of this email, or I will start my small claim process.

Thanks.

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
Alienware laptop

Hi Tony,

They had agree to get my laptop fix now and I have sent the laptop back to them for repair.

As I really need to get my laptop repair, I didn wait until them to say, "yes you will be covered under statutory right",so for now I have sent it to them and waiting to be repair, whether they will sent me a huge bill after that is still unsure as they did not mention whether I will be fully covered by them or not, according to them, Dell and Alienware in UK are merging and they said that they are still discussing regarding the statutory right(this is the statutory right status I have got to so far)

Below is a quote of the letter of the decision regarding my case, nothing regarding statutory right was mentioned.

"I just got a recent update regarding your specific case, we have carefully reviewed the case and the final decision is to fix your system. I can assure you this is the final statement (30th of May 2009 14:31). I just tried to call you but had not luck. I shall try to contact you later or if you wish please call our free line and ask to speak to me, I will be here until 9pm.

I am sorry for all the inconveniences and hope to speak to you soon.

Kind Regards,

Obviously I have called and sent back my laptop.

that is how far I got now, will update when I got my laptop back.

Thanks for following up this case. anymore advice would be really valuable for me.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I don't think you have anything to worry about. It sounds like they are going to fix it free of charge - the "final decision" gives this away. It think I need to write something specfic about faulty laptops for the main section of the website.

Thanks for the update

Tony