Making Your Own Clothes

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Knitting and Crochet are definitely 'in'. You can combine a hobby and clothes purchasing in one delightful spend!
Sometimes making your own clothes and accessories can be more expensive than buying ready made if you chose yarns from the luxury end of the market - but there are still bargains to be had and beautiful, unique, lasting garments to be made!
I cannot recommend too highly the following yarn supplier, who I have found to be brilliant for quality, price, choice and service

Texere Yarns

I buy fabric online too, although I can understand the preference for seeing and feeling 'live'. I am lucky to have, in nearby Shrewsbury, the most wonderful shop full of modern, chic fabrics and staff who can advise you on pattern and fabric combinations. Again, it's easy to make expensive garments albeit that they are totally individual and will last forever, but it is equally possible to knock up a trendy bargain. Gone are the days when I would buy fabric on my way home from work to make something to wear that night (!!), but I still make a couple of linen dresses every summer, which always get compliments and are classic wardrobe staples at £10 a throw!!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Hi there,
Really funny that you wrote this today. Just this morning I made the decision to buy (from ebay) a sewing machine and to see if I could learn how to use it. It seems that over the years any time I have wanted to get curtains, buy a cushion, etc it has always been impossibly expensive so here we go. By the way, do you think it is worth going on a course or is this something that I just need to sink my teeth into on my own? Thanks.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Georginazn

As a matter of interest do you know of any tutorials on this. I too would love to be able to make my own but to be honest wouldnt know where to start!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I think it is 100% worth going on a course! Check out your local evening classes, there is usually one on either dressmaking or soft furnishings.
Lots of really simple pattterns are available, and the instructions are very clear these days, so it's worth having a go even if you can't find a class. Mention your ideas to a few people and you will I am sure find someone who can help too! I have a stream of teenagers through the house, especially at Prom time and I love sharing my knowledge with them and helping them with their often wild ideas!!
There is a barrel of stuff on the web too and I can thoroughly recommend the Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing as comprehensive yet understandable book on the subject.