Broken iPhone refurbished replacment?

holloa

May 2, 2009
Hi,

My iPhone had a fault from new -speaker not always working, it took me 2 months to realise why i randomly missed calls, so i went back to Carphone store to get the standard 'over 28 days, we can send it off for repair but don't have an iPhone you can use while its away'.

I cant replace it with a bog standard phone they offer which they claim is all thay have to offer - and said if the law ment they had to offer like for like then they would be doing that!

Anyway - I went down to the Apple store for the tech to look at and he want to replace it, only for a refurbished phone rather than a new replacement.

the phone is 3 months old now, I'm not happy with a refurbished handset as a replacment, are they right to offer this or can I request only a new one?

Many thanks, Antony.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Anthony,

Carphone Warehouse are right they don't have to provide a like for like loan while your phone is being repaired. They just need to make sure you are not significantly inconvenienced.

A refurbished phone would meet their statutory obligations. The standard order is repair, replace, then refund. And if they refund they can deduct money for usage.

So the iphone isn't all it is cracked up to be?

Tony

holloa

May 2, 2009
Hi Tony,

Many thanks for the quick reply - over a Bank Holiday too!

Its a shame about the loan handset, I'd been reading on the consumer direct sites that it should be like for like leaving me confused.

The iPhone is an excellent piece of kit, unfortunately so, as i don't use it as a phone much - more mini laptop - some of the apps meant I've not needed to switch on my laptop at home for a good few months, which is why I'd feel quite inconvenienced without another while mine was away.

I'm a little surprised that they can replace with a refurbished phone when mine is quite new still. After all I'd never pay full price for a refurbished phone or anything come to that. I'd agree that I have had use and enjoyment from it in the 2 months before I realised the problem but not to the value of the difference between a new and refurbished iPhone.

I do however appreciate your input and guess I'll just have to accept the refurb unit.

Antony.

holloa

May 2, 2009
Just out of interest, I forgot to mention the iPhone was not a contract phone, I paid £400 outright for it. Would that make any difference to whether they can provide a refurbished phone or new one?