Name and Address for Faulty Returns?

Janet

May 2, 2009
Hi, Can anyone clarify whether I am bound by law to give out my name and address for returning goods? I bought a frying pan with a 25 year guarantee that became faulty within a 7 months of purchase and the store insisted on my full details to return it. I paid by credit card but I find this very annoying because I didn't need to give the details to buy it and with so much identity theft around I am not keen to pass these details to shops when I don't need to.

PS. Apologies to the Consumer Law Forum for posting this in there. (Not the right place)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Great question Janet and welcome to the forum. I'll need to phone a friend, but I guess this is something to do with fraud protection. If you were so inclined, you could buy a broken device on ebay, buy a new one in Argos for example and return the broken one. Then you could sell both on ebay - brand new in box. Shops need to protect themselves from this.

Tony

Janet

May 2, 2009
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. The shop assistant did mention fraud protection and I understand the need for shopkeepers to be protected too and totally agree they should be. I do think however that these unscrupulous fraudsters wouldn't give correct name and address anyway, would they? I just thought it was another ploy to get my details and send me junk mail etc. Will wait to hear your thoughts because I have argued this before and would love to know the official line!

EddieP

May 17, 2009
Its also to protect the store from staff fraud, buy with staff discount, refund full amount etc.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
A lady from Bolton was recently caught for returns fraud - £60,000 in total. Basically, she was buying two items exactly the same then going back to the shop saying that she had been charged twice. If they did ask for address info they would have never caught her. I think it is reasonable.

Tony

Janet

May 2, 2009
OK Thanks to all for the replies. I'll go with the majority and trust the shops to keep my identity safe.