Private sale gone wrong

iminstuk

May 6, 2009
Hi All
Bit of Advice please

I recently sold our caravan on ebay for not a lot of money as it was over 10 years old which has been kept in storage a long way from where we live. The winning bidder declined to inspect the caravn even though it was made avalible the duration of the auuction. He turned up and started to haggle I explained that all sales were final, hasn to add he went away empty handed.
I hen returned home considerably out of pocket for a 600 mile wasted trip.
I then contacted the next highest bidder with a 2nd chance option. He instantly agreed the sale, i gave him the option to view the caravan but he declined and said he wanted to pick it up the following weekend. I told him i was unable to be on site to hand the caravan over but would be on the end of my phone if there was any problems.

They then proceeded with the sale by tranfering the funds to my account i then sent them a sold as seen reciept that they confirmed receipt of. 2 days after they picked the van up and towing it 300 miles i get a call saying they are not happy with the sale and want me to come and get the van and refund the money or give them £4oo refund to correct problems ie damp.

I said i was sorry that they were not happy with the sale but there is little i can do as they removed the caravan from site and they are so far away, and as far as i was concernerd the van was dry. They then stated that the van has been advertised as the wrong year!! I am a little confused as i have the receipt from when i bought the caravan 5 years ago stating the year .so i sold it as that year. I decribed it to the best of my ability and sold it in good faith.

This person has now served me with a small claims summons for more than they paid for the caravan!!!

I have the original receipt stating it is the correct year and i also now have a caravan club valuation that proves they have only paid half the market value.

Can any of you legal eagles give me a bit of advice on how to proceed.

Kind regards

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This article is relevant - Consumer Rights when Buying a Car | Consumer Information

If you have bought the car from a private seller, who does not normally trade in cars, then there is no legal obligation on the seller to provide a car of satisfactory quality, and it is therefore a much riskier purchase. For this reason, there are more consumer complaints about the purchase of second hand cars than any other
The law takes into account the age of the item, the nature of the goods and the price paid i.e. it is probably unreasonable to expect a pristine 10 year old caravan that costs a few hundred pounds.

If you had said the caravan had no damp then they may have a case, but if it is out by a year you are probably OK. Fill in all the paperwork, don't ignore it. The court will probably rule in your favour - that is only my opinion.

This might be useful - Making a Small Claim | Consumer Information

iminstuk

May 6, 2009
Thanks for the advice Tony

He paid 1200 for the caravan and the Caravan club valuation is 2700.

I have done some digging and the caravan type was only made for 2 years as an anniversary model, so at the very worst way it is a year out. But i do have the original receipt stating the year and i can only advertise it as such.

As for the Damp we used it with our 2 children last summer and as we all know it wasnt the dryest of summers but we did not notice any damp at all.

regards