Google Chrome, any good?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Has anybody tried the "Google Chrome" update. I have been trying to install it, but it doesn't complete the installation. Logic says it should be better, but if it can't install can it be that good.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is certainly fast, although I don't use it that much as I like Firefox with all its addons

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Faster sounds good.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll make an effort to sort out the download and try is out. So far the Google I have has worked well, any improvement will be welcome.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I did download Internet Explorer 8 the other day and it is terribly slow, plus this website doesn't render well in it so there is now work to do... : (

GekkoHQ

Jul 8, 2009
How fast is chrome? I've found firefox to be a real resource hog recently (I think my AVG anti virus has something to do with this as well..), so I'd love to use something smoother and less resource hungry..

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
How fast is chrome? I've found firefox to be a real resource hog recently (I think my AVG anti virus has something to do with this as well..), so I'd love to use something smoother and less resource hungry..
I've made the switch and it is a lot faster. A lot quicker to start up too.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Chrome does everything you need in a browser at super-quick speeds.

CTRL-T to open a new tab
CTRL-N to open a new window
CTRL-W to close a tab/window
CTRL-L to go to the address bar.... from which will do a google search AND search your history.

I love it. I know that other browsers do the above, but Chrome is so much quicker (and the address bar search much more efficient)

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Chrome is pretty good.

It's fairly stable, although I've encountered a few minor issues on my Vista machine at work.

It provides lightning fast JavaScript processing compared to all the other browsers as it runs multi-threaded, which also means if a page crashes you shouldn't lose all your other pages.

It has various nice features (create website shortcuts, incognito window). The only downside is their aren't many plug-ins as yet which makes it a little unsuitable if you like quirks or are into web development.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
From my experience Firefox is unrivalled in terms of adaptibility and add-ons, Opera is the best for bookmarking and regular websurfing (speed dial function is very handy), Chrome is very quick and functional but can be resource intensive, and no one I know uses Internet Explorer because it's miserable.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I also seem to be having an issue with IE lately, when it refuses to load web pages for some reason. Very intermittent and frustrating. Sometimes it's all web pages, sometimes it's only if you open a new tab.

I wouldn't use it at all, but some of the sites I need to use for work rely on it.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Disappointingly, the prevalence of other browsers on the computers of private internet users hasn't led to the use of them in the business world. I hardly know anyone who works regularly with a computer who isn't forced to use IE.

It might be worth putting the issue to your employer that there are other browsers out there that are technically better in various ways and that they'd probably save money if they started using them.