Some builders are good.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
The comments about bad service and cheating by builders are valid, however is worth mentioning that there are many tradespeople around who provide a good service to their clients. That is evidenced by the number of local repeat clients that they have.
As a new client it is worthwhile asking a builder if they have a list of their regular repeat clients. If they are willing to present one, with some who would not mind being questioned, that is a good indication. If not, that is also a good indication of something.
A person trading is usually keen to build up a list of people who are willing to refer to them. If they do not work in that way, conclusions can be made.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I worked for many years in a company which supplied services to builders tradesmen. Some of the stories, although possibly exagerated, were sad. They often seemed to result from the client asking works which were not practical, or possible, to do in the time, cost, or manner which was requested. After a refusal, a client would then threaten to get another builder - so the first one said that "he would do the best he could". Then the problems started!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I agree that most tradesmen provide a good service to there clients, and it's a shame that the unscrupulous few should give the industry a bad name.

Most of us have come across the dodgy tradesman, whether through personal experience or someone we know, unreliable and incompetent, overcharging and leaving the job unfinished.

I agree with happywriter, that any reputable tradesman should be willing to provide new clients with a list of people willing to refer them.

The National Federation of Builders provides a nine-step guide to choosing the right builder. Choosing a good builder : Directgov - Home and community

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Memories are those of exceptions.

It is the same as many things. One's memories are of exceptions. A person can drive all week passing thousands of drivers in both directions at close distances - only remembering the one or two who caused agrevation by their driving methods, all others are forgotten. However the few dangerous events are memorised well - when, where, the colour of cars, distances, etc.

Eoghain

May 20, 2009
Im sure that good builders /tradesmen /woman far outweight the bad .Having been involved in the building industry for thirty years, im sure it would be very interesting if a tv company did a documentry about rogue customers.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Many problems that clients have are caused by them not appreciating what work is really needed when the agreement is made. By agreeing what will happen, regarding price and schedule, for extra works a great deal of conflict will be avoided.

samwestall

Banned
Sep 29, 2009
Manchester
My company has been slagged off for not paying dodgy builders however I am a Builder and business owner that can see a mile off the old school tricks of the trade to bully people into paying before work is done. Westall Cosntruction Limited has always provided the best service to customers admist to a few 1 named on here that tried to say work was not completed when clearly is had been. I like to warn builders and contractors alike just as we are slagged off maybe naming & shaming customers who lie and refuse to pay for work clearly completed should be the next step for this website to set up. Hmmm now theres a thought ....

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I can't believe people don't pay for any building work they have had done. I would be far too nervous of the fact that the people who have carried out work on my house obviously know where I can live and would, presumably, harass me through legal letters etc until I paid up (quite rightly obviously). But if anyone out there thinks I have a hope in **** of getting away with it I would quite like to extend my kitchen out into the side patio!! :)