Watchdog DVLA Driving Licence

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
I was involved in an accident (someone went into back of me) week last Thursday, the insurance subsidiary help hire persued a three way call with the DVLA, whereby I was shocked to be told my licence was a provisional - DVLA say they never received my application. I thought I had lost my licence during a recent move.

The next day I sent recorded delivery to the DVLA a copy of my practical test, copy of theory pass, a copy of the letter received from DVLA back when I applied, thanking me for my application (so they did receive my application) the letter asked for a copy signed photograph, which I sent back to them, I also sent a copy of this with my recent letter. I checked royal mail and they received this letter 2nd May.

My MP has also sent a letter to the Chief Executive which they would have received Friday just gone.

I am extremley worried about this now, that my licence may not be a full licence as I believed, and I could be in trouble for driving without a licence, which will also mean my insurance is invalid.

This has never been picked up on during the eleven years I have been driving, I have had two accidents previously where this was not an issue. I have always taxed and insured my vehicles.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It sounds like an administrative error - I am sure your MP will get a response and this will all be resolved.

Tony

Last edited:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I had a similar problem a few years ago when I was caught by a speed camera and received a summons for driving without a license, as I held a license for 20 odd years and had 2 changes of name and several changes of address, I knew I had one, could I find it?? no chance.

I phoned DVLA and I have to say the girl I spoke to was very helpful but we had to go back to the time I took my test to find out that my current license had a spelling mistake in my surname which had been transposed onto the driver number, therefore any search on my name showed no license even though all the other details were correct.

It was eventually sorted out just in time for them to fax a copy of my license to the court on the day of the hearing - scary tho' :eek:

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
It does highlight though, how vigilant we all need to be over our personal administration. We all have so many accounts, insurances, policies direct debits mandates etc. etc. that not having all your paperwork proof, filed somewhere so that all info is at your fingertips, can mean life crashes o a halt when things go awry. Those things we 'will get around to' really do need to be done.
I really hope you get this sorted - well done for bringing in a third party - it always helps to have allies.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I have always been a haphazard sort of girl, as is my husband, and all our important pieces of paper have always been stuffed in different drawers. Of course, whenever you need something it has always been impossible to find it. Moving house made me go through everything and file it - but it is still only in paper version so I wonder what would happen if we got broken into and the house was ransacked. I have heard of properties that have been trashed, obviously just for the fun of it!! by the burglars. Also, of course, there is the horrible question of what would happen if your house burnt down. I can't even remember half the people I pay for insurance or this, that and the other. I think that I might try and do an Excel spread sheet with all my direct debits, account numbers, phone numbers of companies, etc and put it on a disc. I could then store this somewhere safe - maybe a copy with different friends or in a safe somewhere.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
I had a similar problem a few years ago when I was caught by a speed camera and received a summons for driving without a license, as I held a license for 20 odd years and had 2 changes of name and several changes of address, I knew I had one, could I find it?? no chance.
QUOTE]

I got caught on a speed camera, asked for photo evidence - wouldn't it have been picked up then, that my licence was a provisional!
It's nice to hear of a success story of someone who was in a similar position to myself. Though I bet you were very worried. I am worried & stressed about it already & I am just waiting on the DVLAs response, at the moment.

The first two times I called DVLA they just said your licence is a provisional & thats that, the third time I got a more helpful lady, who gave me the correct department and address to send my letter to, so that it would go to the right person to deal with this matter. Though my MP has now sent a letter direct to the Chief Executive. I wonder who will get a response first, and will each response be the same!

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
It does highlight though, how vigilant we all need to be over our personal administration. We all have so many accounts, insurances, policies direct debits mandates etc. etc. that not having all your paperwork proof, filed somewhere so that all info is at your fingertips, can mean life crashes o a halt when things go awry. Those things we 'will get around to' really do need to be done.
I really hope you get this sorted - well done for bringing in a third party - it always helps to have allies.
Thank you. Your are right. Hopefully this will turn out ok for me. From now on, all paperwork is going to be kept in order.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
The DVLA have sent a letter of acknowledgment to my MP office, at least that is something. More than they have sent to me so far.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update, it will be interesting to see what happens. Let's hope your MP hasn't been on the fiddle and gets sacked

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
DVLA still not wrote to me. They have wrote my MP saying I need to re-take Theory & Practical test again.

I know have a solicitor looking at this.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Let's see what solicitor comes back with tomorrow, after looking over my paperwork. This is the last chance saloon now, if he can't come up with anything, it looks like I will be re-taking my tests, and having a few lessons in order to take the test again! I am determined to explore every avenue, before giving in though!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Well done for keeping on keeping on! If you do have to retake I am sure you will breeze it, but won't it feel strange! We were at a community quiz the other day and one of the questions was about speed limits on A roads, dual carriageways and motorways. My kids have always insisted that the dual carriageway limit is 70 while I insisted it was 60. They are right and I am wrong - when did that happen!! Without buying a new copy of the Highway Code every year how do you keep up! Maybe they could mark the changes in the tax reminders? I know I should be more vigilant!!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm forever informing people that the speed limit on a dual carriageway is 70, has been ever since I started driving (but then I am a young pup :p )

I also always have to point out what makes a dual carriageway a dual carriageway - it's surprising how many people don't know.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Well done for keeping on keeping on! If you do have to retake I am sure you will breeze it, but won't it feel strange!
Yes, it will be strange having to re-take theory & practical again. Plus the inconvenience & costs involved in this.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Haven't heard from solicitor today.

MP letter, with DVLA letter received, along with a D1 form.

DVLA still not answered my original letter.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Somebody suggested I send a Subject to Access Request to the DVLA, as well as the letter my solicitor is sending to them. Any thoughts on this?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It will show up any information they hold on you but I doubt it will turn up info on your license, surely if this information was on your file, they would have turned it up by now (I always was an optimist)

Often companies just print off their computer records in reply to an SAR but the request covers all information they hold on you so if they have any forms filed away anywhere, they should include copies of those too, not sure how you prove they have tho..........:(