How Much will Smart Meters cost us?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
The announcement about all homes having smart meters sounds good in theory, but why do I get the sinking feeling that we are about to be stung by the utility industry yet again? Anyone who heard a spokesperson wriggling around John Humphries questions yesterday might share my emotions. Lets face it, we've all been trying not to leave things on standby and to turn off lights we don't need. It sounds like £350 is a reasonable ball park figure for installation and that's a lot of standby time.
I am heartily sick of not being able, as a consumer, to feel any trust in providers.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
What??????? I thought Smart Meters were meant to be free to install. I was on the phone to Southern Electric the other day and they said they would send one out to me that I could fit myself and that it wouldn't cost anything. Am I thinking of something else?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I hope you are right - nothing has been stated as fact, but John Humphries kept asking the spokesman what it would cost the consumer and he kept wriggling away from an answer. What he definitely did NOT say was that the industry would bear the cost. He waffled on that the meters would pay for themselves within 20 years!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Blimey! I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long for something to pay for itself, nor will anybody else be, I would imagine who is over a certain age! Well, I guess this is a story that is worth watching ... hopefully, although I doubt it, somebody out there will recognise that if smart meters really are that beneficial then the cost should be absorbed by the government in what would be a fantastically green move!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
There are so many things the government could do if they were really committed to green! Why don't they sub us all for solar and/or wind setup costs! We renamed the TV prog 'It's Not Easy Being Green' 'It's Not Cheap Being Green'!