Gym failed to claim direct debit

vboni

May 12, 2009
My gym has failed to claim its membership fee for the last 4 months. I only noticed this month, but my direct debit has always been set up & is still showing as 'active'. The gym failed to notice this error themselves & it only came out the fee's hadn't been paid since january after I alerted them it hadn't been extracted this month.

My gym is now requesting I pay the fee's for the last 4 months in full - £180 - & have not given a reason why they suddenly stopped claiming the money.

They never informed me they had not received payment or that I was not a member & I have been using my membership card to sign in each time, with no problem. I don't have this money to pay & don't see why I should have to pay a lump sum when the funds were there to be claimed initially.

Does anyone know where I stand on this matter?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
You used the services of the gym, and therefore they are entitled to the fee. I don't want to sound harsh, but you a have responsibility to check your bank transactions and pay for goods and services you have been supplied with. I can understand your concern at having to make a lump sum payment. Why not ask them if you can pay extra over a few months to make up their loss? If you approach them with a good offer, they may respond positively, but the law is with them on this one and they don't have to make any allowance. Even if you leave the gym now, you are still liable.