Cadbury Chocolate 20% Downsize !

rollingstock

May 14, 2009
Sydney
www.youtube.com
Would you notice 20% of a product missing, Cadbury's have done a masterful job in covering up a huge downsize of their 250g chocolate bar.

I caught them right at the time of changeover where the old stock is removed and the new 200g blocks are installed. The shopper never sees the two sizes together on the shelf.

I was going to write a letter, then thought a video would be a much stronger method of sending a message to this company. The video graphically shows how identical re-packaging disguises this huge reduction.

YouTube - Cadbury Chocolate 20% Downsize

It really is a reminder to be very aware of product downsizing, it's been going on for years. This example is amazing to witness, it will really raise your eyebrows.

Thank you.

rollingstock

May 14, 2009
Sydney
www.youtube.com
Hello Tony.

The new size has come in at a introductory price, and to be honest pricing is very volatile depending on the market.

I love Cadbury product, my issue with them is this downsizing has too much stealth behind it.

The video had brought out all sorts of stories from around the world of very similar processes, and to be honest I believe the consumers are fed up with huge companies pulling stunts like this.

It's is not my typical sort of video, but I am pretty sure I can send a vibrant message to Cadbury enough is enough, a little bit of truth in re-packaging is all I am asking.

Ever seen a product say "now with 20% less"..!

This change only benefits one side, and it's not the consumer.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Well done Rollingstock - that was a great You Tube Video. You are so right. The subterfuge is so disheartening when it comes from such a well-loved brand. They have a great product and I cannot believe they are suffering too greatly from the Credit Crunch - what best can you turn to when life is grim? Chocolate of course!!!! I hope Cadbury's realise the negative effects of such duplicity.

rollingstock

May 14, 2009
Sydney
www.youtube.com
Thanks for your comment.

I have to stress doing a consumer related video is not my usual adventure, I just felt a good video displaying some facts is far more powerful than a letter written to the press or the company involved.

Of note there have been a few people defending these changes, yesterday three posts in a row.

To be honest I am surprised how much consumers tolerate from these huge companies which we have trusted for years and years; downsizing is nothing new what is new is the extent of the products which have been downsized.

I have never heard anyone say a product is over sized and requires a downsize, whoever sets up this process in a manufacturing area would have one thought driving the change and the word starts with P

Profit.

My argument to people who question the facts brought up in the video is would you notice if 20% of an apple was missing.

The fact that we as consumers rarely get to compare products at the time of a downsize suites the companies well, I believe they make sure of it.

Cadbury's are a little unlucky here, I have no issue with their product just their stealth during a downsize procedure.

rollingstock

May 14, 2009
Sydney
www.youtube.com
also 5% less cocoa solids

Just a update related to Cadbury's downsize, I just had a youtuber lay in a very interesting finding related to the downsize, and it relates to product quality.

Here is a direct quote:

They've also reduced the quality of the chocolate... adding vegetable fat, and lowering the cocoa solid content from 26% to 20%. And the cadbury with hazlenuts is now using hazlenut pieces, not whole hazlenuts - another factor of overall quality reduction.

Now I have just checked the product I have and this info is correct, first no one asked or smaller chocolate bars, and second no one asked for less cocoa solids.

What's really sneaky is the fact they swapped around the info in very small print, so now the last item is milk solids which is a figure very similar to the old cocoa percentage.

Mr Cadbury this is really looking like a epic fail.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have been meaning to look at the Cadbury bars here. I know the they reintroduced a bar called Whispa recently and it was definitely thinner than the old one, or perhaps my hands are just bigger.

rollingstock

May 14, 2009
Sydney
www.youtube.com
Mars bar downsize 11%

In todays news, Mars Bar downsize.

It was advertised in all Sunday papers by full page ad's, the first time I have seen a downsize advertised in such a way, here is some of the spin including gems like this..

"We want to make sure we sell our portions in the right size."

THE Mars Bar, Australia's biggest-selling snack, is becoming 11 per cent smaller -- and it's all in the interests of our health, its maker says.

The price, however, won't change.

The Mars Bar has dropped in size from 60g to 53g, making it 11.6 per cent lighter, while 90 other chocolate products will also have their size reduced.

Link to the full article.

Mars Bar 11 per cent smaller; price doesn't change | News.com.au Top stories | News.com.au