Private gyms

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I regularly use my local council gym. I only go twice a week so have never found it worthwhile joining a private one. However every so often I toy with the idea of joining a private gym, just to avoid the long queues and dreadful customer service. What experiences have people had of gyms? I've heard lots of stories about them being expensive and difficult to leave: are these backed up by experience?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
David LLoyd vs. Bolton Arena

The local council gym near me at the Bolton Arena is fine - I always used to go late so the crowds were never a problem. I had a look at the local David Lloyd gym but it was three times as much and they didn't have televisions built into the running and cycling machines which I thought was really cool. You are paying for the status really if you go for David Lloyd - it was packed when I went. The main attraction is the open air swimming pool, but given the weather in Bolton it is not really worth it :mad:

I don't go to the gym now just go running occasionally - cheaper and saver about 45 minutes getting to the gym changing and faffing about.

Tony

Joe

May 9, 2008
Has anybody tried the Wii fit as an alternative to going to the gym?

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I have been a member of a few and have mixed views of them.

First, David Lloyd is extremely expensive and is often full of pretentious morons. As a squash player, I was stung aroung £1,500 a year for annual membership (raquest membership costs more than standard membership) when I was in Southampton and, although the facilities are good (but not outstanding), they are not noticeably better than any of the other private gyms

However, I am now a member of LivingWell and have found them to be reasonably priced, well-run clubs. Additionally, you can use any of the LivingWells throughout the country, so you can use them when you travel in addition to getting discounts at Hilton hotels (to which they are often attached).

I've been to a few council gyms and the Bolton Arena is about the only one that I didn't feel like I needed a tetanus injection after leaving.

Given that LivingWell gyms ar around £25 a month, it's very much worth a look.

Additionally, you may be interested to know that FREE gym membership can often be found with certain life insurances. A quick Google search will yield further details.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks Paul - I had no idea about the life insurance thing, that sounds like it's worth investigating.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I looked into this yesterday...I think it's with PruHealth.

I think the idea is that they will pay out less if you are mintaining a healthy lifestyle. I think you have to go a certain amout of times each week...but I supose you could just swipe yourself in and have an orange juice if you don't fancy a workout!

Definitely worth a look...

Paul

red

Aug 22, 2008
I'll let you know - I am getting one for Xmas from the in laws. How about that for advance planning..
If you are anything like my sister who bought one, you will standing plant pots on it by Feb. I am not a great believer of home exercise - dont think it is so easy to maintain. Gyms do have their financial downsides, though provide a focus to exercise without distraction, well there can be some:rolleyes:

Nicola

Facilitator
Home Gyms

I've always found exercising at home to be quite difficult...althiugh I really enjoy going to the gym at which I am a member. It's much harder to retain motivation at home and the simple act of having to go somewhere to exercise seems to make me want to make the most of it.

When exercising at home, I tend to find that I lose interest very quickly...and this is despite having a nice set of weights and an eliptical trainer.

Obviously, it's also a lot less social - once you've been to a gym for a while, you start meeting people and this can be quite fun.

red

Aug 22, 2008
When exercising at home, I tend to find that I lose interest very quickly...and this is despite having a nice set of weights and an eliptical trainer.
Am afraid many moons ago i did similar, though just couldn't motivate myself at home. The machines ended up as real expensive clothes horses:)