Three Cheers for the Library!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Am sure this has already been mentioned here, but just in case I thought I would sing the praises of libraries. I am kicking myself for not having used them since day one when I look at the amount of money I have spent on books for myself and my children. From now on, my library card is going to get a good bashing and I'm not going to buy any more new books for me or the children unless they're classics that they can keep forever. Why does it take me so long to realise all the good ways to save money? I am sure everybody else on these forums will have been doing this already ...

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Libraries are wonderful places yet seem to have been almost forgotten by so many people over the years, myself included. I have not used my local library for many years, though I've often thought about it. Hopefully, this post will give me the push to venture down there, browse the books and see what else is going on.

When my daughter was young I'd take her down the library once a week and let her choose a couple of books. My local library also held weekly activities for pre school children such as painting, and activities for older children during school holidays.

There were also activities for adults such as book clubs or learning a new language.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Yes, mine does various toddler classes. It has also got a fantastic music collection, the staff are wonderful, brilliant childrens books, DVDs and music and a great collection of foreign films for adults too. I'm not sure what the delay is for them getting books that have just been published - I think they wait a while but am not sure why - but you know, it is always worth asking the staff if you can't find something you are looking for as they may be able to order it in for you. So enjoy ...