TalkTalk

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
After reading an article linked from here about getting your broadband cheaper from another provider I went on one of the comparison sites as it made me remember that I was coming to the end of my contract from my current provider. I found that TalkTalk was possibly cheaper so went to their website to check what speeds they could offer, as well as a bit more about their service:

with TalkTalk you can build your own phone and broadband package

Now, on the home page there I put in my phone number and post code, got the results and read a bit more about their offering. In the end I decided that as my current provider offered free national calls and unlimited downloads (as opposed to TalkTalk's 40gig limit) I would stay put, even if it was a little more expensive. I also didn't fancy getting locked into a 18 month contract.

Last night my wife mentioned getting a phone call from TalkTalk. I was a bit annoyed as they're obviously following up on the details I put into their site... when I wasn't interested. They wanted to discuss the service 'in-depth' with her, but despite pushing she insisted that they would have to speak to me.

Tonight the phone has just rang, and it was TalkTalk. I didn't hold back, I politely told him that I was a tad annoyed as I didn't request a call back.

"There is an opt out on the website if you don't want to receive a call back"

I said there wasn't, and whilst I was navigating to their site he said that it "wasn't a cold call". As I pointed out - I'm in sales so I know the definition of a cold call. No, it wasn't a cold call but it would best be described as a 'lukewarm call'. Maybe a 'chilly call'....

At this point their homepage loaded and I quickly read what the site said, and that the T&Cs just went to a page about the competition they're running. Nothing about using my phone number for sales activities.

At that point I told him the call obviously wasn't going to go anywhere, so he'd best follow up his next lead as he might get more luck there and wished him well.

Now... I'm not horrendously annoyed, but I also got similar calls from KwikFit insurance the other day after comparing my contents insurance using a comparison site. Is anyone else finding sales tactics like this becoming more prominent?

I also wonder how many people decide to sign up after a hard sales call (he tried convincing my wife yesterday that they could offer a great deal if she agreed to switch there and then on the phone).

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I guess that this tactic works otherwise they wouldn't do it. They also know that the risks are small as the Information Commissioner is toothless.

I have been getting lots of random dialler calls, but there is little that can be done about it. There is a device you can buy that asks the call to hit a key to continue that I am tempted to try - trueCall - your nuisance call blocker

Aggressive sales tactics can lead to action under these regs:

Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 | Consumer Information

Again, risk is probably low. At least with telesales you do have a seven day cooling off period for most products and services.

kevinh1980

Oct 8, 2009
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. To be honest, I am interested in moving to talk talk, however, it is cheaper to do it online than over the phone which I told them, and we left it at that

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
TalkTalk phoned again the other day, only this time it wasn't for me...

The phone rang, and as I got there I got a recorded message: "Hi, you were called today by TalkTalk..."

At this point the message cut out and a human picked up. This is how the conversation panned out.

"Hello?"
"Hello"
"Hello, can I speak to Mr [former occupier] please?"
"I'm afraid he doesn't live here any more"
"OK, who am I speak too please?"
"The current occupier"
"And what is your name?"
"Sorry, what is your name?"
"My name is Jo [surname]. What's your name sir?"
"Uh... I don't have any reason to give it out just yet. Who are you?"
"My name is Jo [surname]"
"No... what company are you calling from and for what reason"
"OK, I'm calling from TalkTalk. What is your name sir?"
Laughing "I still don't see any reason to tell you that yet. Why are you calling?"
"OK, we're calling people at the moment to see if we can save them money on their landline phone bills"

However, after all of that, I wasn't interested any way.

Incidentally, if you want internet I wouldn't bother using TalkTalk. Unless you're not that bothered by internet speeds that is.

anti talk talk

Nov 18, 2010
Re: TalkTalk head office numbers

here is the head office numbers very very hard to get even for the C.I.A lol

0203 417 1000 main switch board
0203 417 1539 Linda cunningham head of customer services direct office line

good luck guys we all know how impossible it is to obtain these numbers have fun

disgustedofsomerset

Aug 29, 2013
Linda Cunningham is now on 020 3417 1529. I hope that helps. Best of luck.

Sharon Lawrence is PA to the Chief Executive, who is Dido Harding.

jonno1746

Nov 7, 2013
I wouldn't normally bother with Forums but TalkTalk have very successfully gotten my back up so much I thought I would take the time to slate them. I unfortunately lost my Dad in July 2013. Within a day or two from then myself and my family started to get any loose ends tied up, mostly as a distraction if nothing else. The first thing we did was to let talktalk know the situation and cancel the phone, internet and TV packages as the house was going to be empty while we all cared for my Mum. To cut a very long story short, after several phone calls both ways, numerous letters both ways and a lot of distress and upset, the mongs at TalkTalk are still calling asking for my deceased Dad and sending letters to my Deceased Dad, 5 months later. Not only this but they are demanding money which their bereavement department has already written off. Nothing would please me more than getting this story and no doubt other distressing stories on the Watchdog TV programme. I would very much like my letters on there too but I doubt they would be suitable for viewing by the general public. If there is a way of getting the useless muppets for harassment please let me know.
Thank you for reading my post, I apologise for any offence caused to the readers, as you can imagine I am far from happy with this service. Get away from TalkTalk as soon as you can. What a horrible incompetent company.