Teacosy from an overwashed jumper!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Now I know this is not going to make or break your financial situation, but it is free, and ecological.
Ages ago a friend was wondering jokingly, why they don't make tea coloured teacosies as she was always mucking her's up. As it was her birthday I decided to make her one.
I used an old jumper that I had felted in the wash by accident. It was the right colour and nice and insulating!
I just laid it on the table and chalked around my tea cosy onto it, using the ribbed edge as the bottom line. I cut it out half an inch away from the chalk line. I had a bit of leftover cotton so cut two pieces the same from that, for a lining. Then it was simply a case of sew together the jumper pieces and turn them right side out, sew together the cotton pieces, slip the cotton in the felted 'bag' and stitch together at the bottom (folding the cotton in to hide the raw edge)! I decorated mine with a bit of applique, but it's not vital!
She liked it!!
Never throw away felted woollies as they have many uses!!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I've made cushion covers out of an old dress before. I have also made long sleeved tops in to short sleeved tops. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I enjoyed doing it. There are loads of ways to recycle and re-use old textile items. I love these sorts of ideas. Really old and worn clothes I cut up for cloths.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Ooh I love cushion covers!! If you have a zigzag machine so you can go along the edge to stop any unravelling, old cable knits are great for that use, and quite trendy too! Cardigans are especially good as you have a ready made button closing!!