Sorting things after a death

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Just helping my elderly (86) mum sort things after dad's death. Most of it has been simple but Nationwide BS get nil points. I took mum to get the savings put from joint into just her name - easy and straightforward, a member of staff witnessed her signing her book. A month later and because of the absolutely rubbish interest rates, I took her to close the account. She had an expired passport as her only available photographic ID. The same member of staff, who said she remembered mum, quibbled that the passport had expired, and then insisted that the signature she put on it (in 1986) was different from the one in her book. Now, if they had asked for ID when she signed it, they might have had a point. I asked them to tell me what specific photographic ID they expected an 86 year old to provide and what we could do if according to their personal judgement the signatures were different. Of course we couldn't see the book signature, as its UV visible only, but I asked mum later to sign a piece of paper and the difference between now and 1986 was negligible.
What was their game apart from upsetting a frail and vulnerable lady? Grrrr!!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation Georginazn. I just hope you don't meet any more jobsworths.

My brother-in-law was killed in a work accident last year, and when my mum called Sky to cancel the free magazine they sent him they said they wouldn't be able to do that without his permission.

And when my sister (his wife) called the tax office to discuss his NI number (she thinks it's incorrect on his final payslips, which may explain some of the problems she's had getting a widow's pension) they said they had no authority speaking to her, despite the system saying that he had passed away.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks Chutzpah. Your family have had a worse time.... Apart fromthe Nationwide experience, we have had a fairly smooth ride with changing things over and most people have been very helpful and kind.
How awful for your sister to have to fight her corner at such a time. This data protection thing has got out of hand, with some people using it as an excuse to be lazy and unhelpful.
I hope she is managing now.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
What is "worse" is all relative, I would never say that our experience as a family was any worse than what other people might go through. I'm glad that you've only had one hiccup so far!