Sony Repair Charges....help!

Bridge

May 18, 2009
Hi All,

I have a sony camcorder that I have sent for repair. Before I sent the camera I phoned sony and asked them how much the repair would cost before I registered the repair online and sent the camera to them, the man I spoke to told me it would be £176.25 and he said the online registration process would tell me this anyway.

So I registered my repair and it said the cost would be £176.25. I also got a confirmation email which also stated £176.25 so I sent the camera off to sony and received another email to say that I should get it back within 5 days.

Someone from sony then phoned me to collect a payment so they can send the camera back but they told me the cost was over £400! because the camera is classed as a prfessional product! I was never told it would be over £400 and more to the point I don't have £400 to pay for this!

If they told me £176.25 surely they can't charge me £400? what can I do?

Thanks

Bridge

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
As you had to state the model when you registered the repair, they must explain precisely why you were told the repair would be £176.25, and not £400.
What exactly did they say on the phone? Did they give any explanation of the camera's change of status? Does the site clearly delineate professional and domestic items - check the teeny weeny tiny print? Why did they not contact you before the repair was done informing you of the change in cost?
Keep a detailed log of all communication - this may just be the start of a battle!